Phil Collins Had to Tape Drumsticks Post Neck Surgery
Rocker Phil Collins has to tape drumsticks to his hands when he's on stage or in the studio - because nerve damage in his hands means he can no longer grip them. The Genesis' star, who was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame with his bandmates in early March, had to stop playing altogether in 2009 because of pain to his spinal cord.
He revealed, "My vertebrae has been crushing my spinal cord because of the position I drum in. It comes from years of playing. I can't even hold the sticks properly without it being painful." But now he's found a way of being able to pound the drums again.
He tells RollingStone, "The first time I picked up the drumsticks after my neck surgery, they flew across the room because I couldn't grip them. When I play, I've had to tape the sticks to my hand. It's like wearing a condom. It's very strange. It really cramps your style."
And that's not the only thing he's struggling with, saying "I can't let go of the spoon or the knife when I eat. I can't open a car door... There's a lot of things I can't do." But he's hopeful he can get his drumming skills back, stating "I'm having an operation soon and there's a good chance of it improving over time."
Until then, the chances of another Genesis reunion seems unlikely. Bandmate Tony Banks says, "He has to play the drums and play some quite complicated things... It's one of the many reasons it (tour) won't happen."
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked