Akon Cancels Sri Lanka Show Following Visa Denial
R&B star Akon has scrapped plans to play in Sri Lanka after government officials denied him a visa following public outrage over a sacrilegious video. The singer was set to perform in Colombo im April but Buddhist activists prompted officials to cancel the R&B star's visa after spotting scantily clad women dancing in front of a Buddha statue in Akon's new video "Sexy Chick".
Sri Lankan Buddhists staged angry protests outside the headquarters of the promoters earlier this week, prompting leaders to rethink Akon's permit, and the R&B star has now expressed regret about the video oversight.
He has decided not to appeal the visa decision and instead has postponed his trip to Sri Lanka. A statement from his management reads, "Akon is looking forward to performing for the people of Sri Lanka and we hope to have this situation resolved in the coming weeks."
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest