Father to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Michael Jackson's Physician
Michael Jackson's father is preparing to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the King of Pop's personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, amid allegations he administered the drugs that ultimately killed his son. Murray has pleaded not guilty to one count of involuntary manslaughter after Los Angeles prosecutors charged him with administering the powerful anesthetic Propofol to Jackson minutes before the singer went into cardiac arrest in June 2009 and died.
Joe Jackson wants Murray held to account for medical malpractice and he has instructed his lawyer Brian Oxman to begin proceedings to file the wrongful death claims in Los Angeles County Superior Court next week. Oxman tells TMZ the Jackson family patriarch is seeking an unspecified amount of punitive damages, economic support, loss of companionship and loss of consortium.
Joe will be the only Jackson named as plaintiff, unless Oxman is contacted by other interested family members. However, the notice of the legal action has angered Murray's lawyer Ed Chernoff, who is confident any such claim will not be awarded. He says, "That's like throwing a bucket of water on a man drowning in the ocean."
More Michael Jackson News
- Justin Bieber and Skrillex Sued for Allegedly Ripping Off 'Sorry'
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin Reach Divorce Settlement
- Nick Jonas Goes Shirtless in First Trailer for Erotic Thriller 'Careful What You Wish For'
- Johnny Depp Releases Statement Following Amber Heard Divorce
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce From Lamar Odom Again
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard