PETA Urges Authorities to Ban Mike Tyson's Pigeon Show
Former boxing champ Mike Tyson is facing a challenge from animal rights campaigners over his upcoming bird racing reality show after they branded the program "cruel". The retired sportsman has harbored a passion for pigeon racing for years and recently landed a TV deal to bring his hobby to the small screen in U.S. series "Taking on Tyson".
But the concept of the show has infuriated activists from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and they are calling on the show to be halted before filming starts in Brooklyn, New York in April. PETA general counsel Jeffrey Kerr says, "It is inherently cruel. The birds often end up lost in storms, being injured, or just becoming so exhausted that they're unable to fly."
Tyson's show is already under investigation by the New York District Attorney's office over allegations it involves illegal gambling and Kerr is hoping state authorities ban the series from going to air. He adds, "Pigeon racing as an industry involves gambling. That's why people do it, to make money."
However, bosses at the Animal Planet network, who bought the rights to Tyson's show, insist the complaints are unfounded. Representative Patricia Kollappallil tells the New York Daily News, "There have never been any plans for wagering on the pigeon race. (The birds will be) cherished and respected by their owners, including Mr. Tyson."
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'
- So, This Is Apparently Why Jennifer Lopez Broke Up With Casper Smart
- Helen Mirren in Talks to Join New 'Nutcracker' Movie, Sarah Paulson Eying a Role in 'Ocean's Eight'
- Young Thug's 'No, My Name Is Jeffery' Album Cover Sparks Hilarious Memes