'Sweet About Me' Was Gabriella Cilmi's Warning to Record Industry
Gabriella Cilmi's hit single "Sweet About Me" was a direct message to music industry bosses warning them not to push her around. The Australian singer was aged just 16 when she shot to international stardom with the song, and she feared record industry chiefs would try to take advantage of her naivety by controlling her image.
So she deliberately penned a set of feisty lyrics to send a clear warning to her paymasters not to "mess" with her. Cilmi says, "I got into the business very young and people have this tendency - when they have young acts - to mould them and create them the way they want."
"I really didn't want that to happen to me. I was a bit of a tomboy growing up, too - 'No one mess with me!' I guess that's how that song came about."
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!