'Sweet About Me' Was Gabriella Cilmi's Warning to Record Industry
Gabriella Cilmi's hit single "Sweet About Me" was a direct message to music industry bosses warning them not to push her around. The Australian singer was aged just 16 when she shot to international stardom with the song, and she feared record industry chiefs would try to take advantage of her naivety by controlling her image.
So she deliberately penned a set of feisty lyrics to send a clear warning to her paymasters not to "mess" with her. Cilmi says, "I got into the business very young and people have this tendency - when they have young acts - to mould them and create them the way they want."
"I really didn't want that to happen to me. I was a bit of a tomboy growing up, too - 'No one mess with me!' I guess that's how that song came about."
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie