'Sweet About Me' Was Gabriella Cilmi's Warning to Record Industry
Gabriella Cilmi's hit single "Sweet About Me" was a direct message to music industry bosses warning them not to push her around. The Australian singer was aged just 16 when she shot to international stardom with the song, and she feared record industry chiefs would try to take advantage of her naivety by controlling her image.
So she deliberately penned a set of feisty lyrics to send a clear warning to her paymasters not to "mess" with her. Cilmi says, "I got into the business very young and people have this tendency - when they have young acts - to mould them and create them the way they want."
"I really didn't want that to happen to me. I was a bit of a tomboy growing up, too - 'No one mess with me!' I guess that's how that song came about."
- Khloe Kardashian Sparks Engagement Rumors After Spotted With Diamond Ring
- 'The Foreigner' Trailer: Jackie Chan Get Revenge on Pierce Brosnan
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Call It Quits
- Alleged Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Collab 'Steal Our Love' Leaks Online
- New Couple Alert? Katy Perry and Chris Martin Are Spotted Holding Hands
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed