'Sweet About Me' Was Gabriella Cilmi's Warning to Record Industry
Gabriella Cilmi's hit single "Sweet About Me" was a direct message to music industry bosses warning them not to push her around. The Australian singer was aged just 16 when she shot to international stardom with the song, and she feared record industry chiefs would try to take advantage of her naivety by controlling her image.
So she deliberately penned a set of feisty lyrics to send a clear warning to her paymasters not to "mess" with her. Cilmi says, "I got into the business very young and people have this tendency - when they have young acts - to mould them and create them the way they want."
"I really didn't want that to happen to me. I was a bit of a tomboy growing up, too - 'No one mess with me!' I guess that's how that song came about."
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Watch John Legend's Show-Stopping Performance at NBA All-Star Game 2017 Halftime Show
- Madonna's Malawi Twins' Father Says He Didn't Realize the Adoption Was Permanent