'Sweet About Me' Was Gabriella Cilmi's Warning to Record Industry
Gabriella Cilmi's hit single "Sweet About Me" was a direct message to music industry bosses warning them not to push her around. The Australian singer was aged just 16 when she shot to international stardom with the song, and she feared record industry chiefs would try to take advantage of her naivety by controlling her image.
So she deliberately penned a set of feisty lyrics to send a clear warning to her paymasters not to "mess" with her. Cilmi says, "I got into the business very young and people have this tendency - when they have young acts - to mould them and create them the way they want."
"I really didn't want that to happen to me. I was a bit of a tomboy growing up, too - 'No one mess with me!' I guess that's how that song came about."
- Chloe Moretz Blasts 'Hateful' Twitter Trolls
- Watch Justin Bieber's Acoustic Cover of Taylor Swift's 'I Knew You Were Trouble'
- Caitlyn Jenner Was 'Disgusted' by Bruce's 'Greek God Kind of Body'
- 'American Horror Story' Reveals This Mysterious Logo of Season 6
- Rob Kardashian's Threat Is Apparently Why Blac Chyna Got Invited to Khloe's Birthday Party
- Kylie Jenner Is Getting Fancy New Car. Another Gift From Tyga?
- Fifth Harmony's Camila Cabello Goes Solo Again for Charity Song 'Power in Me'
- Colin Firth and Patrick Dempsey Fight Over Renee Zellweger in New 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Trailer