Patti Smith to Receive Honor at ASCAP
Punk icon Patti Smith will be honored at the 27th annual ASCAP Pop Music Awards next month, on April 24, when she is presented with the coveted Founders Award. The "Because the Night" singer will also perform at the event, to be held at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles.
The invitation-only gala will also honor the top songwriters and publishers of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers' most performed pop songs of 2009. Announcing Smith's honor, ASCAP President and Chairman Paul Williams says, "Patti fused raw rock energy with the heart of a poet and ignited the 1970s New York punk scene."
"She expanded the boundaries of artistic expression, musically and otherwise, inspiring generations of rockers worldwide. She continues to be a vibrant, prolific artist, working in a wide variety of media. We are very proud to honor Patti Smith with ASCAP's Founders Award."
- New 'Bachelor in Paradise' Couple! Amanda Stanton and Robby Hayes Spotted on a Date
- Anne Hathaway Eyed to Replace Amy Schumer in Live-Action 'Barbie'
- 'Exhausted' Justin Bieber Cancels the Rest of 'Purpose' Tour Dates
- Rihanna Fuels Pregnancy Rumors With Bigger Boobs at 'Valerian' European Premiere
- ABC Sets Fall 2017 Premiere Dates for 'Grey's Anatomy', 'The Good Doctor' and More
- Ex-Wonder Girls Member Sun Mi to Release Second Solo Album in August
- Find Out Why Song Joong Ki Wants to Get Married Early
- Ariel Winter Flaunts Butt Tattoo on Snapchat