Patti Smith to Receive Honor at ASCAP
Punk icon Patti Smith will be honored at the 27th annual ASCAP Pop Music Awards next month, on April 24, when she is presented with the coveted Founders Award. The "Because the Night" singer will also perform at the event, to be held at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles.
The invitation-only gala will also honor the top songwriters and publishers of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers' most performed pop songs of 2009. Announcing Smith's honor, ASCAP President and Chairman Paul Williams says, "Patti fused raw rock energy with the heart of a poet and ignited the 1970s New York punk scene."
"She expanded the boundaries of artistic expression, musically and otherwise, inspiring generations of rockers worldwide. She continues to be a vibrant, prolific artist, working in a wide variety of media. We are very proud to honor Patti Smith with ASCAP's Founders Award."
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns