Patti Smith to Receive Honor at ASCAP
Punk icon Patti Smith will be honored at the 27th annual ASCAP Pop Music Awards next month, on April 24, when she is presented with the coveted Founders Award. The "Because the Night" singer will also perform at the event, to be held at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles.
The invitation-only gala will also honor the top songwriters and publishers of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers' most performed pop songs of 2009. Announcing Smith's honor, ASCAP President and Chairman Paul Williams says, "Patti fused raw rock energy with the heart of a poet and ignited the 1970s New York punk scene."
"She expanded the boundaries of artistic expression, musically and otherwise, inspiring generations of rockers worldwide. She continues to be a vibrant, prolific artist, working in a wide variety of media. We are very proud to honor Patti Smith with ASCAP's Founders Award."
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie