DMX to Serve Six Months in Jail After Violating Probation Term
DMX has been sentenced to six months in prison after pleading guilty to charges of probation violation - but the embattled rapper has been offered a way out of jail thanks to reality TV's Dr. Drew Pinsky. The hip-hop star, real name Earl Simmons, appeared in court on Tuesday, March 16 when he confessed to five separate claims of probation violation by using illegal drugs following his arrest in Phoenix, Arizona on March 9.
The judge ordered DMX to spend time behind bars - but the rapper could escape the jail term and serve his sentence in rehab instead, after an appeal from a representative from the Pasadena Recovery Center in California. The spokesperson approached the judge presiding over the case during the hearing and presented a letter from Pinsky asking for permission to help DMX kick his drug habit at the treatment center.
As WENN went to press, a decision on the offer had yet to be delivered but TMZ reports the judge was "open" to sending the troubled star to rehab. Pinsky has become known to U.S. TV audiences thanks to his reality show "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" and its spin-off "Sober House", in which he attempts to help stars kick their drug and alcohol addictions.
DMX spent time in jail in 2009 on charges of drug possession, animal cruelty and theft, stemming from various arrests in 2008. He was sentenced to 18 months probation after his release in May 2009 for verbally threatening a guard during his stint in prison.
- Emma Roberts Is Mad Diva in 'Scream Queens' Season 2 Promo
- Katy Perry Credits Boyfriend Orlando Bloom for Helping Write Her DNC Speech
- Disney Gives 'Rocketeer' a Reboot With Exciting Twist - Get the Deets Here!
- Justin Bieber Turns Down $5M Offer to Perform at RNC
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'