Jessica Simpson Defends Gabourey Sidibe From Howard Stern's Backlash
Jessica Simpson has become the latest star to wade into the debate over Gabourey Sidibe's weight after Howard Stern urged the portly Precious star to seek help - the singer has called the DJ's comments "disrespectful". Stern sparked an outcry after he labeled the Oscar-nominee "the most enormous, fat black chick I've ever seen" and claimed she will struggle to secure any more roles in Hollywood because of her size.
The shock jock also urged Sidibe to seek help because "obesity" is a life-threatening condition. Sidibe's mum, Alice Tan Ridley, subsequently slammed the DJ for his unkind comments, and Whoopi Goldberg urged Stern to focus on Sidibe's acting not her dress size. And now Simpson, who was criticized in the press for her own weight struggles in 2009, has spoken out - insisting Stern shouldn't have taken aim at Sidibe over such a personal issue.
She tells E! Online, "I'm actually surprised somebody had the cojones to say that. I just think that's really disrespectful. It's unfortunate because she walked the red carpet at the Oscars and she owned it. She was beautiful. There was no denying that she did not think she was the most beautiful person on that red carpet. She was just owning that moment for herself. She had such confidence and I absolutely 100 per cent think she could get anything in the world that she wants."
More Jessica Simpson News
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Is Snow Queen, Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj Show Skin on Red Carpet
- Beyonce Is Performing at the 2016 MTV VMAs, MTV Confirms
- Britney Spears Reveals Her Desire to Collaborate With Ex Justin Timberlake
- Mariah Carey's Estranged Sister Busted for Prostitution
- Video: Jennifer Lopez Reunites With Ex Marc Anthony on Stage After Casper Smart Split
- Adam Levine Dresses Up as Pokemon-Like Monster for Maroon 5 Music Video Shoot
- Watch: Thor Hilariously Explains Why He Is Absent From 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Do These Pictures Show Justin Bieber Having Sex With Sofia Richie?