Jessica Simpson Defends Gabourey Sidibe From Howard Stern's Backlash
Jessica Simpson has become the latest star to wade into the debate over Gabourey Sidibe's weight after Howard Stern urged the portly Precious star to seek help - the singer has called the DJ's comments "disrespectful". Stern sparked an outcry after he labeled the Oscar-nominee "the most enormous, fat black chick I've ever seen" and claimed she will struggle to secure any more roles in Hollywood because of her size.
The shock jock also urged Sidibe to seek help because "obesity" is a life-threatening condition. Sidibe's mum, Alice Tan Ridley, subsequently slammed the DJ for his unkind comments, and Whoopi Goldberg urged Stern to focus on Sidibe's acting not her dress size. And now Simpson, who was criticized in the press for her own weight struggles in 2009, has spoken out - insisting Stern shouldn't have taken aim at Sidibe over such a personal issue.
She tells E! Online, "I'm actually surprised somebody had the cojones to say that. I just think that's really disrespectful. It's unfortunate because she walked the red carpet at the Oscars and she owned it. She was beautiful. There was no denying that she did not think she was the most beautiful person on that red carpet. She was just owning that moment for herself. She had such confidence and I absolutely 100 per cent think she could get anything in the world that she wants."
More Jessica Simpson News
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Tops Box Office, 'Wonder Woman' Sets New Record
- A$AP Rocky Involved in a Fight During Kendrick Lamar's Set at Pre-BET Awards Party
- Netflix Cancels 'Girlboss' After One Season
- BET Awards 2017: Leslie Jones Mocks Amber Rose's 'Bush' Pic, Pokes Fun at Young Rappers' Names
- BET Awards 2017: Jada Pinkett Smith and Cardi B Ditch Bras, Blac Chyna Flashes Butt on Red Carpet
- Lorde Scores First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With 'Melodrama'
- New 'Marvel's Inhumans' Poster Reveals First Look at Attilan
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Denies Cheating Rumors