Toronto Officials Confirm No Involvement in Corey Haim's Funeral Expenses
City officials in Toronto, Canada have dismissed reports taxpayers will pick up the funeral costs for tragic actor Corey Haim, despite allegations from his grieving mother. The "Lost Boys" star died of a suspected drug overdose in Los Angeles on March 10 and his cancer-stricken mother, Judy Haim, has been struggling to gather enough cash to fly the actor's body to his native Canada.
Family members began selling Haim's possessions on internet auction site eBay as a way for fans to donate to funeral costs and his mum was even offered a $20,000 cheque advance from executives at Startifacts, the company helping to shift the memorabilia. But the matriarch recently claimed Startifacts bosses had yet to provide her with the funds, and she had instead accepted an offer from Toronto officials to pay for burial expenses.
However, a city spokesman is baffled by Judy's comments - because officials have not been approached to provide funeral funds. Communications director Kevin Sack says, "The City of Toronto confirms no involvement in funeral costs for Mr. Haim. The City of Toronto has never received an application for assistance with the funeral costs for Mr. Haim." Haim is expected to be buried in Toronto on Tuesday, March 16.
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes