Mary J. Blige Certain 'Precious' Will Help Molestation Victims to Speak Out
Mary J. Blige is applauding Hollywood bosses for backing "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" - because she's convinced the film will help child molestation victims speak out about their abuse. "Precious" tells the gritty story of a troubled teenager who is raped by her father and abused by her mother.
The R&B star, who recorded a song for the soundtrack, found she could relate to the film because of her own troubled childhood, and she's adamant the Oscar-winning movie will encourage other abuse victims to seek help. She tells Britain's GMTV show, "I've grown up, I've seen similar situations like that and I've lived some of those situations."
"I've actually seen people go through exactly what Precious went through and, I mean, the effect that it had on me is that someone's doing an uncut version of what some of us need to see in order to be able to come out and speak freely about something that can set them free. It made me really happy that Hollywood is even allowing something like that to get through. And for people to break free from the bondage of being molested as a child or whatever."
More Mary J. Blige News
- Mary J. Blige Confirms She's Divorcing Husband Kendu Isaacs After 12 Years of Marriage
- 'New Girl' Really Loves Megan Fox, Brings Her Back for Major Season 6 Arc
- 'Suicide Squad' Confirms Another DC Superhero's Appearance
- Kim Kardashian Is Unrecognizable in These TBT Photos From the 2008 Teen Choice Awards
- Watch Katy Perry Rock the DNC With 'Rise' and 'Roar'
- Kate Hudson Looks on Awkwardly as Ex Matt Bellamy Makes Out With Elle Evans in Greece
- Miley Cyrus Will Reportedly Release New Single in October
- Lindsay Lohan Spotted Drinking, Smoking and Showing Tiny Baby Bump During Vacation