Alkaline Trio Auction Off Things to Free Convicted Murderers
Rockers Alkaline Trio have joined the campaign to free the West Memphis Three, a trio of men who were convicted as teenagers of beating three eight-year-old boys to death in West Memphis, Arkansas. Hollywood actor Johnny Depp recently threw his weight behind the drive, urging U.S. officials to reopen the 1994 murder case, insisting the men - Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley, Jr. and Jason Baldwin - never received a fair trial, and were convicted because they were fans of heavy metal music, Stephen King novels and the occult.
Now rock band Alkaline Trio have joined the fight - they are auctioning off a guitar used in the recording of their latest album, "This Addiction", to raise money for the trio's defense fund. The black 2009 Fender, which was also used on the band's recent tour, will be sold through Skeleton Key Auctions with a starting bid of $999. The auction runs from March 22 to April 8 - one day for each year the West Memphis Three have spent behind bars.
Anje Vela, president of Music4Life, says, "It is my hope that through Skeleton Key Auctions, both funds and awareness will be raised about the travesty perpetrated on these three innocent men. Cases like the West Memphis Three's are a blemish to our justice system. Skeleton Key Auctions is grateful for bands such as Alkaline Trio who have generously donated to this cause."
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'
- Mark Salling Fired From 'Gods and Secrets' After Indicted for Child Pornography
- Emilia Clarke Wants to Be the First Female James Bond With This Hunk as Her Bond 'Boy'
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares
- Gwen Stefani Releases Fashionable 'Misery' Music Video