Robert De Niro Tapped to Play in Vince Lombardi Biopic
Robert De Niro is the frontrunner to portray American football great Vince Lombardi in a new sports movie. The actor has been tapped to play the legendary football coach in a biopic being developed by ESPN Films and the National Football League, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Revered screenwriter Eric Roth is working on the script for Lombardi. The coach is considered one of the sport's greatest after turning the fortunes of the Green Bay Packers around in the 1960s and winning five championships in nine years.
Lombardi died in 1970. Charles Coplin, the NFL's vice-president of programming, tells the publication, "There are few actors who could accurately portray the fire, passion and grit of Lombardi, and we're thrilled to have Robert De Niro on our team."
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role
- Troian Bellisario Has Harsh Words for Both Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift