Tom Jones' Sarcastic Unemployment Record Unearthed
Tom Jones annoyed welfare workers by claiming unemployment money at the start of his career - because he snubbed all the evening jobs he was offered. A stack of newly discovered records from Pontypridd employment center in Wales have shed light on the star's humble beginnings, revealing Thomas John Woodward, as he was then named, had a "non-enthusiasm" for finding work.
And staff quickly caught on that the youngster was trying to carve out a career as a pop star, according to their notes from 1961 to 1964. One note states, "He does not want shift work but I believe the reason for his not liking shifts is because he is a member of a vocal group which is supposedly an amateur affair."
"From the number of adverts one sees in the local press, however, it seems that this group has a good thing going ... From the way he is able to dress, it would seem that Mr Woodward's little hobby is highly lucrative and this would also account for his non-enthusiasm in securing employment."
Another message read, "He is still signing the UR (unemployment register) and not autograph books." The cards are set to go under the hammer and a Mullock's auction house spokesperson is convinced the keepsakes will be popular, "They are a wonderful look at the beginning of a glittering career when Tom Jones was trying to make a living from his singing. There are also some quite acerbic and sarcastic remarks made by the civil servants about him."
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding