Elton John's Post-Oscar Party Raised Million Dollars for Charity
Sir Elton John's 2010 post-Oscars AIDS Foundation party was a hit - the singer raised a massive $3.7 million (2.5 million pounds) in just a few hours at the lavish star-studded bash. The "Rocket Man" hitmaker and his partner David Furnish invited a host of celebrities, including Betty White, Nicole Richie and Victoria Adams, to attend the 18th annual celebration, which raises money for the fight against AIDS.
After a lavish dinner and a performance by Grace Jones, guests were invited to participate in a live auction, where John sold the costume he wore at the Grammy Awards in January for $30,000 (20,000 pounds) and a watch from his collection for $90,000 (60,000 pounds).
Also up for grabs was a photo of U.S. President Barack Obama at college, which sold for $60,000 (40,000 pounds), and private tennis lessons from Andre Agassi and Steffi Graff, which raised $70,000 (47,000 pounds).
The generous host also took in $140,000 (93,000 pounds) by auctioning off a week-long stay at his home in Nice, France. He said, "I'm so blown away this year. We're supposedly struggling though a recession and yet it keeps getting better every year."
- Lady GaGa Hits Recording Studio With BloodPop, Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker
- Derek Hough Confirms He's Back on 'Dancing with the Stars', Cheryl Burke Also Returns
- Ruby Rose Splits From Girlfriend Harley Gusman
- Ariana Grande Kisses Mac Miller and Sits on His Lap at VMAs After-Party
- Justin Bieber Wins 8 Titles in Guinness World Records 2017 Edition
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Poses Completely Naked for Paper Magazine
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs