Elton John's Post-Oscar Party Raised Million Dollars for Charity
Sir Elton John's 2010 post-Oscars AIDS Foundation party was a hit - the singer raised a massive $3.7 million (2.5 million pounds) in just a few hours at the lavish star-studded bash. The "Rocket Man" hitmaker and his partner David Furnish invited a host of celebrities, including Betty White, Nicole Richie and Victoria Adams, to attend the 18th annual celebration, which raises money for the fight against AIDS.
After a lavish dinner and a performance by Grace Jones, guests were invited to participate in a live auction, where John sold the costume he wore at the Grammy Awards in January for $30,000 (20,000 pounds) and a watch from his collection for $90,000 (60,000 pounds).
Also up for grabs was a photo of U.S. President Barack Obama at college, which sold for $60,000 (40,000 pounds), and private tennis lessons from Andre Agassi and Steffi Graff, which raised $70,000 (47,000 pounds).
The generous host also took in $140,000 (93,000 pounds) by auctioning off a week-long stay at his home in Nice, France. He said, "I'm so blown away this year. We're supposedly struggling though a recession and yet it keeps getting better every year."
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'
- Did Olivia Munn Just Throw Shade at Aaron Rodgers' Family?