Elton John's Post-Oscar Party Raised Million Dollars for Charity
Sir Elton John's 2010 post-Oscars AIDS Foundation party was a hit - the singer raised a massive $3.7 million (2.5 million pounds) in just a few hours at the lavish star-studded bash. The "Rocket Man" hitmaker and his partner David Furnish invited a host of celebrities, including Betty White, Nicole Richie and Victoria Adams, to attend the 18th annual celebration, which raises money for the fight against AIDS.
After a lavish dinner and a performance by Grace Jones, guests were invited to participate in a live auction, where John sold the costume he wore at the Grammy Awards in January for $30,000 (20,000 pounds) and a watch from his collection for $90,000 (60,000 pounds).
Also up for grabs was a photo of U.S. President Barack Obama at college, which sold for $60,000 (40,000 pounds), and private tennis lessons from Andre Agassi and Steffi Graff, which raised $70,000 (47,000 pounds).
The generous host also took in $140,000 (93,000 pounds) by auctioning off a week-long stay at his home in Nice, France. He said, "I'm so blown away this year. We're supposedly struggling though a recession and yet it keeps getting better every year."
- Queen Elizabeth Visits Victims of Manchester Attack in Hospital
- 'Wonder Woman' Women-Only Screening Enrages Male Fans
- T.I.'s Alleged Side Chick Bernice Burgos Reportedly Wants to Have Baby With Him
- Katy Perry Tears Up as She Pays Tribute to Manchester Bombing Victims at London Gig
- Rosario Dawson in Talks for 'X-Men: New Mutants', Two Others Eyed to Play Mirage
- Sophia Bush Exits 'Chicago P.D.' After Four Seasons
- Niall Horan Promises One Direction Reunion, With Zayn Malik
- Bella Thorne Says Cannes 'Isn't for Me' as Scott Disick Ditches Her for Ex Chloe Bartoli