Elton John's Post-Oscar Party Raised Million Dollars for Charity
Sir Elton John's 2010 post-Oscars AIDS Foundation party was a hit - the singer raised a massive $3.7 million (2.5 million pounds) in just a few hours at the lavish star-studded bash. The "Rocket Man" hitmaker and his partner David Furnish invited a host of celebrities, including Betty White, Nicole Richie and Victoria Adams, to attend the 18th annual celebration, which raises money for the fight against AIDS.
After a lavish dinner and a performance by Grace Jones, guests were invited to participate in a live auction, where John sold the costume he wore at the Grammy Awards in January for $30,000 (20,000 pounds) and a watch from his collection for $90,000 (60,000 pounds).
Also up for grabs was a photo of U.S. President Barack Obama at college, which sold for $60,000 (40,000 pounds), and private tennis lessons from Andre Agassi and Steffi Graff, which raised $70,000 (47,000 pounds).
The generous host also took in $140,000 (93,000 pounds) by auctioning off a week-long stay at his home in Nice, France. He said, "I'm so blown away this year. We're supposedly struggling though a recession and yet it keeps getting better every year."
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures
- Gwen Stefani's Son Kingston Sings Blake Shelton's Song While Face-Swapping With Him
- Comic-Con: Check Out Trailers for 'Flash' Season 3, 'Arrow' Season 5 and 'Legends' Season 2
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard