Mo'Nique Granted With Hattie McDaniels' Gardenia
The gardenia Mo'Nique wore in her hair at the Oscars on Sunday, March 7 was a very special gift from a close friend of "Gone With the Wind" star Hattie McDaniels' family. The actress/comedienne started thinking her Academy Awards win was destined when the flower arrived in the post as she was getting ready for her big night in Hollywood.
She says, "Something really strange happened - as I'm going through hair and make-up, someone knocked on our door ... There's a letter and there's the gardenia flower. The letter is from a woman I've never met before, who is friends with Hattie McDaniels' family members. It blew me away."
Mo'Nique paid tribute to McDaniels, the first African-American Oscar winner, in her Best Supporting Actress acceptance speech, and claims the dead star was with her throughout the ceremony. In a post-Oscars chat with Oprah Winfrey, who co-produced her film "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire", the actress explained, "I could hear her whispering in my ear."
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics