Mo'Nique Granted With Hattie McDaniels' Gardenia
The gardenia Mo'Nique wore in her hair at the Oscars on Sunday, March 7 was a very special gift from a close friend of "Gone With the Wind" star Hattie McDaniels' family. The actress/comedienne started thinking her Academy Awards win was destined when the flower arrived in the post as she was getting ready for her big night in Hollywood.
She says, "Something really strange happened - as I'm going through hair and make-up, someone knocked on our door ... There's a letter and there's the gardenia flower. The letter is from a woman I've never met before, who is friends with Hattie McDaniels' family members. It blew me away."
Mo'Nique paid tribute to McDaniels, the first African-American Oscar winner, in her Best Supporting Actress acceptance speech, and claims the dead star was with her throughout the ceremony. In a post-Oscars chat with Oprah Winfrey, who co-produced her film "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire", the actress explained, "I could hear her whispering in my ear."
- 'The Talk' Host Sheryl Underwood Cries as She Reveals Terrifying Rape Ordeal
- Brie Larson to Play U.S. First Female Presidential Candidate in Victoria Woodhull Biopic
- Netflix Debuts 'Death Note' Teaser Trailer and It's Slammed for Whitewashing
- Michael Shannon Joins Contention to Play Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus Caught in Lip-Lock Amid Romance Rumors
- Lorde, Muse, The Killers, Chance the Rapper, Arcade Fire to Headline 2017 Lollapalooza
- William Shatner Says Nick Viall 'Needs to Go' From 'DWTS', the 'Bachelor' Star Reacts
- Zac Efron Is Drag Queen, The Rock Disses One Direction in New 'Baywatch' Trailer