Lil Wayne Begins His Year-Long Jail Term
Rapper Lil Wayne has begun a year-long prison term after a string of delays postponed his sentencing for weapons possession, stemming from a 2007 arrest. The "Lollipop" hitmaker, real name Dwayne Carter, pleaded guilty in 2009 to attempted criminal possession of a weapon, and admitted having a loaded 40-caliber semiautomatic gun on his tour bus.
He was initially expected to be sentenced to a year behind bars in February, but he was granted a postponement to undergo dental surgery. The hearing was delayed again on March 2, after a blaze in the basement of the courthouse forced officials to evacuate the building and close it down for the rest of the day.
The rapper was finally sentenced at Manhattan Criminal Court on Monday, March 8, and taken away in handcuffs to begin his term at an undisclosed city jail immediately. According to the Associated Press, the Grammy winner's lawyer plans to ask for protective custody out of concern for Wayne's safety and health following his dental surgeries. He could be released in about eight months with good behavior.
More Lil Wayne News
- Eight Times Chrissy Teigen Makes Us ROTFL
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle May 'Get Married Somewhere Private and Elope'
- O.J. Simpson Could Be Denied Parole After Caught Masturbating in Cell
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Leaked Photo Reveals Spider-Man and Doctor Strange's Scene
- John McCain Is Diagnosed With Brain Cancer, Politicians Send Support
- Adele Is Struggling to Write New Album Because She Isn't 'Depressed' Enough
- Yoo Seung Ho Reveals He Enlisted to Military Because He Didn't Like Acting
- Meet Guillermo del Toro's Newest Creature in Dreamy First Trailer for 'The Shape of Water'