Lil Wayne Begins His Year-Long Jail Term
Rapper Lil Wayne has begun a year-long prison term after a string of delays postponed his sentencing for weapons possession, stemming from a 2007 arrest. The "Lollipop" hitmaker, real name Dwayne Carter, pleaded guilty in 2009 to attempted criminal possession of a weapon, and admitted having a loaded 40-caliber semiautomatic gun on his tour bus.
He was initially expected to be sentenced to a year behind bars in February, but he was granted a postponement to undergo dental surgery. The hearing was delayed again on March 2, after a blaze in the basement of the courthouse forced officials to evacuate the building and close it down for the rest of the day.
The rapper was finally sentenced at Manhattan Criminal Court on Monday, March 8, and taken away in handcuffs to begin his term at an undisclosed city jail immediately. According to the Associated Press, the Grammy winner's lawyer plans to ask for protective custody out of concern for Wayne's safety and health following his dental surgeries. He could be released in about eight months with good behavior.
More Lil Wayne News
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special