Lil Wayne Begins His Year-Long Jail Term
Rapper Lil Wayne has begun a year-long prison term after a string of delays postponed his sentencing for weapons possession, stemming from a 2007 arrest. The "Lollipop" hitmaker, real name Dwayne Carter, pleaded guilty in 2009 to attempted criminal possession of a weapon, and admitted having a loaded 40-caliber semiautomatic gun on his tour bus.
He was initially expected to be sentenced to a year behind bars in February, but he was granted a postponement to undergo dental surgery. The hearing was delayed again on March 2, after a blaze in the basement of the courthouse forced officials to evacuate the building and close it down for the rest of the day.
The rapper was finally sentenced at Manhattan Criminal Court on Monday, March 8, and taken away in handcuffs to begin his term at an undisclosed city jail immediately. According to the Associated Press, the Grammy winner's lawyer plans to ask for protective custody out of concern for Wayne's safety and health following his dental surgeries. He could be released in about eight months with good behavior.
More Lil Wayne News
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala
- Your Favorite 'Game of Thrones' Stars Will Get More Screen Time in Season 7
- Kylie Jenner Reportedly Pregnant With Travis Scott's Baby
- Leonardo DiCaprio Mingles With Bella Hadid in Cannes, Sparks Romance Rumors
- See Ben Affleck Hilariously Imitating Christian Bale's Batman for Red Nose Day
- Zayn Malik Regrets His 'Fifty Shades' Duet With Taylor Swift