Lil Wayne Begins His Year-Long Jail Term
Rapper Lil Wayne has begun a year-long prison term after a string of delays postponed his sentencing for weapons possession, stemming from a 2007 arrest. The "Lollipop" hitmaker, real name Dwayne Carter, pleaded guilty in 2009 to attempted criminal possession of a weapon, and admitted having a loaded 40-caliber semiautomatic gun on his tour bus.
He was initially expected to be sentenced to a year behind bars in February, but he was granted a postponement to undergo dental surgery. The hearing was delayed again on March 2, after a blaze in the basement of the courthouse forced officials to evacuate the building and close it down for the rest of the day.
The rapper was finally sentenced at Manhattan Criminal Court on Monday, March 8, and taken away in handcuffs to begin his term at an undisclosed city jail immediately. According to the Associated Press, the Grammy winner's lawyer plans to ask for protective custody out of concern for Wayne's safety and health following his dental surgeries. He could be released in about eight months with good behavior.
More Lil Wayne News
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says
- Joe Biden to Guest Star on 'Law and Order: SVU'. Get the First Look
- Listen to Pink and Kenny Chesney's New Song 'Setting the World on Fire'
- Lindsay Lohan Isn't Pregnant, Close Friend Hofit Golan Confirms
- Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher Already Planning for Third Baby
- Marvel Confirms 'Avengers: Infinity War' Is One Movie, 'Avengers 4' Is Now Untitled
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Single 'Kiss the Sky' Off His 'Platinum Hits' Album