Lil Wayne Begins His Year-Long Jail Term
Rapper Lil Wayne has begun a year-long prison term after a string of delays postponed his sentencing for weapons possession, stemming from a 2007 arrest. The "Lollipop" hitmaker, real name Dwayne Carter, pleaded guilty in 2009 to attempted criminal possession of a weapon, and admitted having a loaded 40-caliber semiautomatic gun on his tour bus.
He was initially expected to be sentenced to a year behind bars in February, but he was granted a postponement to undergo dental surgery. The hearing was delayed again on March 2, after a blaze in the basement of the courthouse forced officials to evacuate the building and close it down for the rest of the day.
The rapper was finally sentenced at Manhattan Criminal Court on Monday, March 8, and taken away in handcuffs to begin his term at an undisclosed city jail immediately. According to the Associated Press, the Grammy winner's lawyer plans to ask for protective custody out of concern for Wayne's safety and health following his dental surgeries. He could be released in about eight months with good behavior.
More Lil Wayne News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones