Mo'Nique Blasts Reporters for Harsh Critics
Mo'Nique took aim at stuck-up movie reporters who urged Oscar voters to "teach Mo'Nique a lesson" and snub her backstage at the Oscars in Los Angeles on Sunday night, March 7. Minutes after winning gold for her role in "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire", the pre-show Best Supporting Actress award favorite came face to face with some of her harshest critics, who bashed her for not attending certain minor awards shows and festivals in 2009.
Her decision not to show at select events became a major talking point during awards season in America, and she briefly addressed the controversy in her acceptance speech, thanking members of the Academy for choosing performance over politics. Backstage she said, "Through this journey and process... some reporters wrote, 'Someone needs to teach Mo'Nique a lesson. Someone needs to tell her how this game is played'."
"I am very proud to be part of an Academy that says, 'We will not play that game. We will judge her on her performance and not how many dinners she attended and how many pictures she took. It's on the screen.' I am proud to hold this Oscar in my hand."
- La La Vazquez Is Too Heartbroken to Join Kim Kardashian's Vacation in Mexico
- Harry Styles Makes a Mysterious Response to His Han Solo Casting Rumors
- G-Dragon and Sulli's Recent Instagram Posts Fuel Dating Speculation
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Pissed at Heather Morris' Shocking 'DWTS' Elimination
- Eww! Kim Kardashian Says Big Sis Kourtney Threw Up in Her Bed Four Times and Slept in It
- Scott Disick Hangs Out With Khloe Kardashian Look-Alike in the Beverly Hills Hotel
- Has Zoe Saldana Revealed 'Avengers 4' Title?
- Kendrick Lamar Announces 'The Damn. Tour' Dates