Simon Cowell Counters Sting's Singing Contests Comment
Simon Cowell has hit back at "idiot" Sting for dismissing the music mogul's reality singing contests as "televised karaoke". The former The Police's frontman blasted Cowell in 2009, claiming the talent spotter was exploiting talentless wannabes, who are then "humiliated" in a bid to boost television ratings on shows like "American Idol" and "The X Factor".
Sting said, " 'The X Factor' is a preposterous show and you have judges who have no recognizable talent apart from self-promotion, advising them (contestants) what to wear and how to look. It is appalling." Cowell didn't respond straight away but now he's taking aim at Sting, slamming the star for begrudging anybody else a chance to become a star.
In a new interview with British broadcaster Piers Morgan, who is a judge on Cowell's "America's Got Talent" show, he says, "First of all, anybody who at the age of 60 calls himself Sting is an idiot. I find those kind of people ... who come from quite humble beginnings and they're (now) living in these stately homes, professing to know everything about everything in the world, and what the contestants may or may not feel."
"They can say that because they've got everything they want in their lives, but what they're really saying is anybody else who needs a shot shouldn't be allowed to do it."
More Simon Cowell News
- Watch Fifth Harmony Bring Out Ty Dolla $ign for Mini Concert on 'Today' Show
- Get First Images and Details of 'Cars 3'
- Will There Be More 'Matrix' Movies? Here's What Joel Silver Says
- Topher Grace Marries Fiancee Ashley Hinshaw in Private Ceremony
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Proposals and Villain Already in Week 2
- Katy Perry's Twitter Account Is Hacked, Posts Tweet About Taylor Swift
- Why Cyclops Should Be the Leader of the Next 'X-Men' Franchise
- Diplo Reuniting With Justin Bieber and MO for Major Lazer's New Song