Brooke Shields Tries to Cope With Mother's Alzheimer's
Brooke Shields is struggling with her mother's Alzheimer's - because she can only remember things from the actress' childhood. The memory-robbing disease is slowly claiming Teri Shields and her daughter admits it's tough at times trying to have a conversation with her mum.
She tells Ladies Home Journal magazine, "Now my mother lives in the past. She wants to talk about the trip we took to Manila when I was 15 and what (Philippines former First Lady) Imelda Marcos said to her. I'm like, 'Mum, how about just today?' "
The actress admits she still seeks her mother's approval on all life matters, "I'll see her and think, 'She's going to say my hair's too dark. She's going to ask if I've gained weight.' I might as well be 10. I'm confident in my own mothering, I've been making all my own decisions for a long time, but after all these years, I want my mum."
Shields first revealed her mother was fighting dementia after a journalist allegedly checked the actress' ailing mum out of a nursing home in a bid to interview her in 2009. A furious Shields said, "My mother Teri Shields has been diagnosed with dementia. For her safety, she has temporarily been in a senior living facility, a very difficult decision for me."
"As anyone knows who has a parent who suffers from dementia or Alzheimer's, it is one of the most difficult experiences you can go through as a son or daughter. The idea that the National Enquirer took advantage of her state is reprehensible and disgusting."
More Brooke Shields News
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart