Brittany Murphy's Widower Returns a Total of 800 Dollars to Donators
Brittany Murphy's widower Simon Monjack has begun giving back donations after the charity he set up in his ex-wife's name was shut down - but insists he only managed to collect a total of $800. The actress died in December 2009 after suffering a cardiac arrest at her Hollywood Hills home, and her grieving husband subsequently set up the Brittany Murphy Foundation in her honor.
He even planned a charity gala for the launch of the Foundation in February, charging $1,000 a ticket, but canceled the bash at the last minute. It was later revealed the foundation was not legally registered as a charity with the state of California, and a statement was issued through the organization's website revealing all donations would be handed back until non-profit status is approved.
Monjack tells TMZ.com he has started the process of handing back all the money the organization received, but reveals it only totaled $800. He insists plans to resurrect the foundation are going ahead and he is taking the "the proper steps" to make sure the organization is registered.
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'