Brittany Murphy's Widower Returns a Total of 800 Dollars to Donators
Brittany Murphy's widower Simon Monjack has begun giving back donations after the charity he set up in his ex-wife's name was shut down - but insists he only managed to collect a total of $800. The actress died in December 2009 after suffering a cardiac arrest at her Hollywood Hills home, and her grieving husband subsequently set up the Brittany Murphy Foundation in her honor.
He even planned a charity gala for the launch of the Foundation in February, charging $1,000 a ticket, but canceled the bash at the last minute. It was later revealed the foundation was not legally registered as a charity with the state of California, and a statement was issued through the organization's website revealing all donations would be handed back until non-profit status is approved.
Monjack tells TMZ.com he has started the process of handing back all the money the organization received, but reveals it only totaled $800. He insists plans to resurrect the foundation are going ahead and he is taking the "the proper steps" to make sure the organization is registered.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival