Shannen Doherty Joins 'Dancing with the Stars' Because of Dad
Actress Shannen Doherty decided to join the "Dancing with the Stars" line-up in honor of her father, who is recovering from a stroke. The former "Charmed" star will don her dancing shoes to participate in the upcoming series of the hit U.S. talent show, after turning down several offers to compete in previous years.
She insists her severe stage fright kept her from signing up in the past - but she decided to accept the challenge this year after watching her dad Tom's battle to recover from a stroke on 2009 Christmas Day. She tells People, "He lost his speech, he wasn't mobile. He was really struggling, and still is."
"When I mentioned this to him, he got really excited, and he wanted me to do it. I thought, if my dad can fight through having a stroke and the loss of being able to communicate, I think I can do this for him. So I figured I'm going to get over my fear for him... I have a huge fear of live audiences. I break out in hives, full blown panic attacks, and everything else."
But she's determined to shape up and do her best on the program, adding "I don't work out. I need to get my endurance up. I'm going to get in great shape, and everyone who I know who's been on the show has had a great time. It's with hesitation and fear, but it's going to be good to conquer a fear."
Doherty will face off against "Baywatch" babe Pamela Anderson and pop singer Nicole Scherzinger, among others, when the 10th series of "Dancing with the Stars" begins in the U.S. on March 22.
More Dancing with the Stars News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal