Oscars Bosses Cast Out 'The Hurt Locker' Producer From the Event
"The Hurt Locker" producer who broke Oscars rules and urged colleagues to campaign for votes in a last-minute push for gold has been banned from Sunday's, March 7 Academy Awards. Red-faced Nicolas Chartier has apologized for penning the email to industry colleagues, urging Academy members to vote for the gritty war movie in the Best Picture category before the ballot closed on March 2.
In the email, obtained by the Los Angeles Times, he wrote, "I hope you liked 'Hurt Locker' and if you did and want us to win, please tell your friends who vote for the Oscars, if everyone tells one or two of their friends, we will win and not a $500 million film, we need independent movies to win."
The move broke Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences rules, which restrict campaigning to garner Oscars votes. In a following email Chartier apologized, writing, "My email to you was out of line and not in the spirit of the celebration of cinema that this acknowledgment is... As passionate as I am about the film we made, this was an extremely inappropriate email to send, and something that the Academy strongly disapproves of in the rules. I truly apologize to anyone I have offended."
But the apology isn't enough for Oscars bosses, who have chosen to deny Chartier attendance at the 82nd Annual Academy Awards. In an official statement released to WENN on Tuesday, it appears the decision was made because the producer's actions violate "Academy campaigning standards".
A spokeswoman for the Academy says, "The executive committee of the Academy's Producers Branch, at a special session late Monday, ruled that the ethical lapse merited the revocation of Chartier's invitation to the Awards."
"The group stopped short of recommending that the Academy governors rescind Chartier's nomination. If 'The Hurt Locker' were to be selected as Best Picture, Chartier would receive his Oscar statuette at some point subsequent to the March 7 ceremonies."
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie