Colin Farrell Has No 'Heartbreak' of Having Disabled Child
Irish actor Colin Farrell suffered no "embarrassment or heartbreak" over his son's rare medical condition - insisting he doesn't even consider his child to be disabled. The movie star's six-year-old son James suffers from Angelman Syndrome, which affects his mobility, speech and development.
But despite the symptoms of the condition, Farrell insists he hardly notices until he sees the youngster playing with children his own age. Farrrell tells Britain's Live magazine, "The only time I'm reminded that there's something different about him, that he has some deviation from what's perceived to be normal, is when I see him with other kids his age. Then it comes back to me."
"But I've never thought of my son as being someone with a disability. From day one I felt that he's the way he's meant to be," the "Crazy Heart" actor explains. "Some of the best things that happen to you in life are unplanned, and that's what Jimmy (James) was. He was a gift. There's no embarrassment or heartbreak."
The actor is also grateful he has a movie star's bank balance - as it means he can afford the best treatment for his son. He adds, "Also having money is lovely - Jesus, I'm really lucky - because it allows me to pay for the physician and speech therapists Jimmy needs. I can pay for really good ones, the best. I'm afraid a lot of people whose children have conditions really struggle."
More Colin Farrell News
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart