Gabourey Sidibe Upset by Lee Daniels Over Weight Jibe
"Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" director Lee Daniels embarrassed the film's full-figured star Gabourey Sidibe at the NAACP awards, after mentioning her weight in his acceptance speech. The spotlight was on "Precious" at the 41st NAACP Image Awards on Friday, February 26, where Sidibe picked up the Outstanding Actress honor and Daniels was named Outstanding Director.
But while Daniels accepted the Best Film award at the Los Angeles ceremony, he made an embarrassing blunder at Sidibe's expense. Daniels began his speech, "No one in Hollywood told me they wanted to see a movie about a 350-pound black girl who had HIV."
According to the New York Daily News, the Oscar-nominated actress grew noticeably upset, shaking her head at Daniel's comment. Attempting to recover from the insensitive remark, the director stuttered at the audience, "She's not 350 pounds... Gabby... But the book says... ."
It isn't the first time Sidibe has faced scrutiny over her size. The Hollywood newcomer was excluded from Vanity Fair's March young Hollywood issue - prompting speculation she was snubbed in favor of slim Hollywood stars.
- Taylor Swift's Squad Reportedly Abandons Her After Her 'Embarrassing Feuds and Breakups'
- Watch Britney Spears' Performance at Apple Music Festival in London
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Eliminates Second Pair of Season 23
- Miley Cyrus Disses Mariah Carey, Says 'I've Never Really Been a Fan'
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Reveals How 'Mary Poppins Returns' Connects to Original Movie
- FKA twigs Ditches Her Engagement Ring When Arriving at LAX With Robert Pattinson
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Aren't Speaking, but Not Breaking Up
- NBC's 'This Is Us' Is the First Freshman to Get Full Season Order