Gabourey Sidibe Upset by Lee Daniels Over Weight Jibe
"Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" director Lee Daniels embarrassed the film's full-figured star Gabourey Sidibe at the NAACP awards, after mentioning her weight in his acceptance speech. The spotlight was on "Precious" at the 41st NAACP Image Awards on Friday, February 26, where Sidibe picked up the Outstanding Actress honor and Daniels was named Outstanding Director.
But while Daniels accepted the Best Film award at the Los Angeles ceremony, he made an embarrassing blunder at Sidibe's expense. Daniels began his speech, "No one in Hollywood told me they wanted to see a movie about a 350-pound black girl who had HIV."
According to the New York Daily News, the Oscar-nominated actress grew noticeably upset, shaking her head at Daniel's comment. Attempting to recover from the insensitive remark, the director stuttered at the audience, "She's not 350 pounds... Gabby... But the book says... ."
It isn't the first time Sidibe has faced scrutiny over her size. The Hollywood newcomer was excluded from Vanity Fair's March young Hollywood issue - prompting speculation she was snubbed in favor of slim Hollywood stars.
- Bella Thorne Gets Nipple Piercing, Shares Naked Photo
- Is Drake Cheating on J.Lo With This Porn Star in Amsterdam?
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci