Gabourey Sidibe Upset by Lee Daniels Over Weight Jibe
"Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" director Lee Daniels embarrassed the film's full-figured star Gabourey Sidibe at the NAACP awards, after mentioning her weight in his acceptance speech. The spotlight was on "Precious" at the 41st NAACP Image Awards on Friday, February 26, where Sidibe picked up the Outstanding Actress honor and Daniels was named Outstanding Director.
But while Daniels accepted the Best Film award at the Los Angeles ceremony, he made an embarrassing blunder at Sidibe's expense. Daniels began his speech, "No one in Hollywood told me they wanted to see a movie about a 350-pound black girl who had HIV."
According to the New York Daily News, the Oscar-nominated actress grew noticeably upset, shaking her head at Daniel's comment. Attempting to recover from the insensitive remark, the director stuttered at the audience, "She's not 350 pounds... Gabby... But the book says... ."
It isn't the first time Sidibe has faced scrutiny over her size. The Hollywood newcomer was excluded from Vanity Fair's March young Hollywood issue - prompting speculation she was snubbed in favor of slim Hollywood stars.
- 'Arrow' Star Stephen Amell Teases the Return of Mystery Character and 'Meaner' Season 5
- Kanye West and Everyone, Including Taylor Swift, Sleep Naked in His 'Famous' Video
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Confirms the Presence of A.R.G.U.S.
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Pixie Haircut at Givenchy Fashion Show With Bella Hadid and More
- Teresa Palmer Finds Someone's Name Carved in New 'Lights Out' Trailer
- Liam Hemsworth Defends His 2012 Engagement to Miley Cyrus
- Jamie Foxx's Wild Night Out: Boozing and Grinding With Mystery Women
- Listen to Jamie Lynn Spears' Comeback Single 'Sleepover'