Pierce Brosnan Shocked by 'Schmaltzy' 'Mamma Mia!'
Pierce Brosnan rushed to see a stage version of "Mamma Mia!" after agreeing to star in the big-screen adaptation - and was horrified by the "schmaltzy" production. The Irish actor agreed to star in the 2008 romantic comedy after learning Meryl Streep would be his co-star - and immediately bought tickets to see the musical in London's West End.
But after watching a few minutes of the flamboyant live show, Brosnan began to reconsider his decision. He says, "I took my mother and stepchildren, Charlotte and Christopher, to see the stage production of 'Mamma Mia!' in London. I thought, 'What have I done? This is so schmaltzy. Oh dear, oh dear!' "
"I forgot to ask who I was playing. One of the dads. I could be playing the gay dad or this rugged guy, then this other guy came out and said, 'My name's Sam Carmichael,' and I thought, 'There you go, that's me'."
But the film holds special significance for Brosnan - his character shared the surname of his beloved stepdad Bill Carmichael, who died days before he agreed to star in "Mamma Mia!".
- Jimmy Kimmel Breaks Down Oscar Mix-Up: How Denzel Washington Helped Save the Day
- Get a Look at New 'Wonder Woman' Cool Photos and Concept Art
- Which Green Lantern Member to Appear in 'Justice League' Allegedly Revealed
- Ashley Tisdale Claps Back at Fat-Shamers Saying She Looks Pregnant
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga's Wedding Is Going to Get Spin-Off Series
- Josh Hartnett and Girlfriend Expecting Baby No. 2 - See Her Baby Bump at Oscars After-Party
- Kong Destroys Helicopters and Kills Skull Crawlers in Final 'Kong: Skull Island' Trailer
- Halle Berry Skinny-Dipping in the Night After Oscars. Watch the Video!