Pierce Brosnan Shocked by 'Schmaltzy' 'Mamma Mia!'
Pierce Brosnan rushed to see a stage version of "Mamma Mia!" after agreeing to star in the big-screen adaptation - and was horrified by the "schmaltzy" production. The Irish actor agreed to star in the 2008 romantic comedy after learning Meryl Streep would be his co-star - and immediately bought tickets to see the musical in London's West End.
But after watching a few minutes of the flamboyant live show, Brosnan began to reconsider his decision. He says, "I took my mother and stepchildren, Charlotte and Christopher, to see the stage production of 'Mamma Mia!' in London. I thought, 'What have I done? This is so schmaltzy. Oh dear, oh dear!' "
"I forgot to ask who I was playing. One of the dads. I could be playing the gay dad or this rugged guy, then this other guy came out and said, 'My name's Sam Carmichael,' and I thought, 'There you go, that's me'."
But the film holds special significance for Brosnan - his character shared the surname of his beloved stepdad Bill Carmichael, who died days before he agreed to star in "Mamma Mia!".
- Solange Releases 'A Seat at the Table' Album Featuring Lil Wayne and Kelly Rowland
- 'The Bachelor': Get Details of Nick Viall's Carnival Date
- Is That a Baby Bump? Christina Aguilera Looks Pregnant When Attending Drake's Concert
- Yes, Jessica Biel Eats in the Shower and She Wants You to Try It Too
- 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Gets Official Synopsis, First Footage Is Coming to NYCC
- Iggy Azalea Pushes Back 'Digital Distortion' Release to 2017, Cites Nick Young Drama
- Ben Affleck Says Taylor Swift Was Like 'God' When His Kids Met Her
- Kendall Jenner Unveils New Lip Tattoo