Pierce Brosnan Shocked by 'Schmaltzy' 'Mamma Mia!'
Pierce Brosnan rushed to see a stage version of "Mamma Mia!" after agreeing to star in the big-screen adaptation - and was horrified by the "schmaltzy" production. The Irish actor agreed to star in the 2008 romantic comedy after learning Meryl Streep would be his co-star - and immediately bought tickets to see the musical in London's West End.
But after watching a few minutes of the flamboyant live show, Brosnan began to reconsider his decision. He says, "I took my mother and stepchildren, Charlotte and Christopher, to see the stage production of 'Mamma Mia!' in London. I thought, 'What have I done? This is so schmaltzy. Oh dear, oh dear!' "
"I forgot to ask who I was playing. One of the dads. I could be playing the gay dad or this rugged guy, then this other guy came out and said, 'My name's Sam Carmichael,' and I thought, 'There you go, that's me'."
But the film holds special significance for Brosnan - his character shared the surname of his beloved stepdad Bill Carmichael, who died days before he agreed to star in "Mamma Mia!".
- Pregnant Nikki Reed Bares Cleavage in Sexy Maternity Clothes
- Lamar Odom Is Refused Entry at Los Angeles Strip Club
- Kim Kardashian Is Begging Khloe to Be Her Surrogate for Baby No. 3
- So Cruel! Travis Scott Compares Kylie's Bedroom Skills to Sister Kendall Jenner's
- Selena Gomez Denies Collaboration With The Weeknd on New Music: 'It's Not True'
- 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' Iconic Character Holly Golightly to Become a Merchandise Queen
- Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Tisdale Host Twerk-a-Thon Poolside in Sexy Leopard Bikinis
- Rob Kardashian Is 'Killing Himself' Following Split From Blac Chyna