Pierce Brosnan Shocked by 'Schmaltzy' 'Mamma Mia!'
Pierce Brosnan rushed to see a stage version of "Mamma Mia!" after agreeing to star in the big-screen adaptation - and was horrified by the "schmaltzy" production. The Irish actor agreed to star in the 2008 romantic comedy after learning Meryl Streep would be his co-star - and immediately bought tickets to see the musical in London's West End.
But after watching a few minutes of the flamboyant live show, Brosnan began to reconsider his decision. He says, "I took my mother and stepchildren, Charlotte and Christopher, to see the stage production of 'Mamma Mia!' in London. I thought, 'What have I done? This is so schmaltzy. Oh dear, oh dear!' "
"I forgot to ask who I was playing. One of the dads. I could be playing the gay dad or this rugged guy, then this other guy came out and said, 'My name's Sam Carmichael,' and I thought, 'There you go, that's me'."
But the film holds special significance for Brosnan - his character shared the surname of his beloved stepdad Bill Carmichael, who died days before he agreed to star in "Mamma Mia!".
- Kylie Jenner Launches Kyshadow Collection
- Rob Kardashian Fights With Blac Chyna, Deletes All Signs of Her on Instagram
- Four New Christina Grimmie Music Videos Will Be Released in August
- Justin Timberlake's Fan Arrested After Slapping the Singer at Golf Tournament
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures