Pierce Brosnan Shocked by 'Schmaltzy' 'Mamma Mia!'
Pierce Brosnan rushed to see a stage version of "Mamma Mia!" after agreeing to star in the big-screen adaptation - and was horrified by the "schmaltzy" production. The Irish actor agreed to star in the 2008 romantic comedy after learning Meryl Streep would be his co-star - and immediately bought tickets to see the musical in London's West End.
But after watching a few minutes of the flamboyant live show, Brosnan began to reconsider his decision. He says, "I took my mother and stepchildren, Charlotte and Christopher, to see the stage production of 'Mamma Mia!' in London. I thought, 'What have I done? This is so schmaltzy. Oh dear, oh dear!' "
"I forgot to ask who I was playing. One of the dads. I could be playing the gay dad or this rugged guy, then this other guy came out and said, 'My name's Sam Carmichael,' and I thought, 'There you go, that's me'."
But the film holds special significance for Brosnan - his character shared the surname of his beloved stepdad Bill Carmichael, who died days before he agreed to star in "Mamma Mia!".
More Pierce Brosnan News
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy