Shakira Meets President Obama to Discuss Education Charity Campaign
Shakira has met with U.S. President Barack Obama to discuss her charity campaign to educate underprivileged kids across the world. The "Hips Don't Lie" singer, who is an ambassador for UNICEF and runs her own charity the Barefoot Foundation, is calling for impoverished children to be given better access to education.
And she took her campaign to the White House on Monday, February 22 to speak to Obama about increasing investment in the scheme. She says, "It was such a privilege to sit down with the President in the Oval Office to discuss our shared commitment to education and early childhood development. We agreed that investing in our children is the smartest strategy governments can use to boost economic growth, fight poverty, and promote global security and peace."
"We will be working closely with the President and his staff to implement his vision - for Latinos, children in the United States, and around the world." In December 2009, Shakira spoke at England's prestigious Oxford University to discuss the same topic.
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs