Shakira Meets President Obama to Discuss Education Charity Campaign
Shakira has met with U.S. President Barack Obama to discuss her charity campaign to educate underprivileged kids across the world. The "Hips Don't Lie" singer, who is an ambassador for UNICEF and runs her own charity the Barefoot Foundation, is calling for impoverished children to be given better access to education.
And she took her campaign to the White House on Monday, February 22 to speak to Obama about increasing investment in the scheme. She says, "It was such a privilege to sit down with the President in the Oval Office to discuss our shared commitment to education and early childhood development. We agreed that investing in our children is the smartest strategy governments can use to boost economic growth, fight poverty, and promote global security and peace."
"We will be working closely with the President and his staff to implement his vision - for Latinos, children in the United States, and around the world." In December 2009, Shakira spoke at England's prestigious Oxford University to discuss the same topic.
- Cress Williams to Lead The CW's DC Superhero Series 'Black Lightning'
- Joe Carnahan Rumored to Direct 'X-Force', Ryan Reynolds to Co-Write the Movie
- Did Nicki Minaj Just Diss Lil' Kim in Gucci Mane Collaboration 'Make Love'?
- Fifth Harmony, Nick Viall and Nancy Kerrigan to Join 'DWTS' Season 24
- Justin Bieber Denies Peeing His Pants: 'Water Spilled on My D**k Area'
- Meryl Streep Reacts After Karl Lagerfeld Calls Her 'Cheap' for Snubbing Chanel Dress at Oscars
- Watch Ed Sheeran Adorably Crash Katy Perry's Interview
- Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' Finally Has Premiere Date