J.K. Rowling to Ask Judge to Drop Plagiarism Lawsuit Against Her
"Harry Potter" 's author J.K. Rowling has blasted a plagiarism lawsuit against her as "absurd" and is pressing for the case to be thrown out of court. Late British writer Adrian Jacobs' estate has filed papers alleging the author approached Rowling's U.K. publishers Bloomsbury in 1987, ten years before his death, and unsuccessfully attempted to sell them his "Willy the Wizard" stories.
Jacobs' family members filed a lawsuit in June 2009, claiming Rowling's 2000 book "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" steals segments of the writer's novel "The Adventures of Willy the Wizard - No 1 Livid Land".
Rowling was named as a defendant in the lawsuit on Wednesday, February 17 after the trustee of Jacobs' estate, Paul Allen, realized the time limit to sue the writer had not run out. But Rowling has moved quickly to slam the accusation, insisting she has never even read Jacobs' book and will be applying to have the claim dismissed immediately.
In a statement, she says, "The fact is I had never heard of the author or the book before the first accusation by those connected to the author's estate in 2004; I have certainly never read the book. The claims that are made are not only unfounded but absurd."
"And I am disappointed that I, and my U.K. publisher Bloomsbury, are put in a position to have to defend ourselves. We will be applying to the court immediately for a ruling that the claim is without merit and should therefore be dismissed without delay."
- Katt Williams Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting a Woman
- Comic-Con: 'Sherlock' Season 4 Trailer Teases the Demons Within, Star Says It's the Darkest Season
- Moving on? Iggy Azalea Spotted Cozying Up to French Montana at Las Vegas Club
- Lil Wayne Abruptly Walks Off Stage at Marijuana Festival After Just 10 Minutes
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram