J.K. Rowling to Ask Judge to Drop Plagiarism Lawsuit Against Her
"Harry Potter" 's author J.K. Rowling has blasted a plagiarism lawsuit against her as "absurd" and is pressing for the case to be thrown out of court. Late British writer Adrian Jacobs' estate has filed papers alleging the author approached Rowling's U.K. publishers Bloomsbury in 1987, ten years before his death, and unsuccessfully attempted to sell them his "Willy the Wizard" stories.
Jacobs' family members filed a lawsuit in June 2009, claiming Rowling's 2000 book "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" steals segments of the writer's novel "The Adventures of Willy the Wizard - No 1 Livid Land".
Rowling was named as a defendant in the lawsuit on Wednesday, February 17 after the trustee of Jacobs' estate, Paul Allen, realized the time limit to sue the writer had not run out. But Rowling has moved quickly to slam the accusation, insisting she has never even read Jacobs' book and will be applying to have the claim dismissed immediately.
In a statement, she says, "The fact is I had never heard of the author or the book before the first accusation by those connected to the author's estate in 2004; I have certainly never read the book. The claims that are made are not only unfounded but absurd."
"And I am disappointed that I, and my U.K. publisher Bloomsbury, are put in a position to have to defend ourselves. We will be applying to the court immediately for a ruling that the claim is without merit and should therefore be dismissed without delay."
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri