J.K. Rowling to Ask Judge to Drop Plagiarism Lawsuit Against Her
"Harry Potter" 's author J.K. Rowling has blasted a plagiarism lawsuit against her as "absurd" and is pressing for the case to be thrown out of court. Late British writer Adrian Jacobs' estate has filed papers alleging the author approached Rowling's U.K. publishers Bloomsbury in 1987, ten years before his death, and unsuccessfully attempted to sell them his "Willy the Wizard" stories.
Jacobs' family members filed a lawsuit in June 2009, claiming Rowling's 2000 book "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" steals segments of the writer's novel "The Adventures of Willy the Wizard - No 1 Livid Land".
Rowling was named as a defendant in the lawsuit on Wednesday, February 17 after the trustee of Jacobs' estate, Paul Allen, realized the time limit to sue the writer had not run out. But Rowling has moved quickly to slam the accusation, insisting she has never even read Jacobs' book and will be applying to have the claim dismissed immediately.
In a statement, she says, "The fact is I had never heard of the author or the book before the first accusation by those connected to the author's estate in 2004; I have certainly never read the book. The claims that are made are not only unfounded but absurd."
"And I am disappointed that I, and my U.K. publisher Bloomsbury, are put in a position to have to defend ourselves. We will be applying to the court immediately for a ruling that the claim is without merit and should therefore be dismissed without delay."
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media