Ashanti to Produce and Host Her Own Version of 'American Idol'
R&B star Ashanti has teamed up with the producers of "Ugly Betty" and "The Office" to create a new reality TV contest. The singer/actress has just signed a deal with the brains behind Reveille Productions to produce and host her own version of "American Idol".
Details of the show are being kept tightly under wraps, but Ashanti's manager mother Tina Douglas tells WENN, "It's an unscripted television show that is definitely music related. We'll be revealing more in the coming weeks. She has her own record label, called Written Entertainment, and the show is going to revolve around her label... It's going to be really big."
Beside revealing about her daughter's reality TV show, Douglas also shares that she's sore about Susan Boyle's album success. She says, "It's a double-edge sword... We were happy for her (Boyle) but Ashanti held onto that record for eight years and that was a big feat to accomplish with the music industry the way it is."
"This is my personal opinion, people wanna be successful and they're gonna take whatever route that they can. At the end of the day, before Ashanti blew up in 2002, it took me nine years of struggling with three record deals that failed. It was a struggle, it was hard, but it built character."
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 4: Coaches Round Out Teams of 8. See Who Makes the Cut!
- Missing His Family? Brad Pitt 'Secretly Joined' Angelina Jolie and Kids on Recent Cambodia Trip
- First Gloomy Footage of 'Annihilation' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- 'Bones' Showrunner on Series Finale: 'It's the End, but It's Not the End'
- Spider-Man May Leave Marvel Cinematic Universe After 'Spiderman: Homecoming' Sequel
- Harry Styles to Make Debut as Solo Artist on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman Reunite for NBC's Competition Series 'Handmade Project'
- Mila Kunis Debuts Amazing Post-Baby Body, 4 Months After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri