'Shutter Island' Set Makes Leonardo DiCaprio Traumatized
Leonardo DiCaprio became so traumatized on the set of his new movie "Shutter Island", he forgot where he was. The "Titanic" actor plays a tormented cop stuck in a hospital for the criminally insane in his fourth outing with director Martin Scorsese.
DiCaprio was put through grueling scenes for the film, which involved being pelted with rats while having to remember complex dialog. And the experience took such an emotional toll on the star, DiCaprio started to lose his sense of reality.
He says, "My character was going through extreme emotional trauma and it's hard for those types of things not to rub off on you. Mark Ruffalo and I had to spout out three pages of dialog. We had to talk through the wind machines, the rain machines and rats being thrown at us. But, just like the character, we had to persevere in finding out what was really going on in Shutter Island."
"A few weeks towards the end of filming, I started to forget where I was. We kept pushing this character further and further. It was day after day of re-enacting a traumatic event that was either a dream or reality for this guy. I remember saying to Marty, 'I have no idea where I am or what I'm doing'."
More Leonardo DiCaprio News
- James Corden, Rose Byrne, Daisy Ridley Tapped for Peter Rabbit Movie
- Tom Hanks Crashes Wedding Photo Shoot at Central Park
- Lil Wayne Officiated Same-Sex Wedding in Prison, Found Out Drake Slept With His Girlfriend
- Amy Schumer Snogs Ben Hanisch on Kiss Cam During Mets Game
- Oh Boy! Harry Styles Rocks Three Different Looks for Another Man Magazine
- Taylor Lautner Says Britney Spears Tried to Set Him Up With Her Sister Jamie Lynn
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role