'Shutter Island' Set Makes Leonardo DiCaprio Traumatized
Leonardo DiCaprio became so traumatized on the set of his new movie "Shutter Island", he forgot where he was. The "Titanic" actor plays a tormented cop stuck in a hospital for the criminally insane in his fourth outing with director Martin Scorsese.
DiCaprio was put through grueling scenes for the film, which involved being pelted with rats while having to remember complex dialog. And the experience took such an emotional toll on the star, DiCaprio started to lose his sense of reality.
He says, "My character was going through extreme emotional trauma and it's hard for those types of things not to rub off on you. Mark Ruffalo and I had to spout out three pages of dialog. We had to talk through the wind machines, the rain machines and rats being thrown at us. But, just like the character, we had to persevere in finding out what was really going on in Shutter Island."
"A few weeks towards the end of filming, I started to forget where I was. We kept pushing this character further and further. It was day after day of re-enacting a traumatic event that was either a dream or reality for this guy. I remember saying to Marty, 'I have no idea where I am or what I'm doing'."
More Leonardo DiCaprio News
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show