Massive Riot Forced Courtney Love to Drop Concert
Courtney Love canceled a gig in London on Thursday night, February 11 after she was caught up in a riot - police forced the star to stay in her hotel as they clashed with thousands of partygoers on the streets outside. Love was slated to perform a set at Camden's Proud Galleries venue, but she scrapped the show after violence broke out close to where she was staying in the British capital's upmarket Park Lane area.
Around 2,000 revelers descended on an abandoned townhouse after a notification of a party was posted on social networking site Facebook.com. The party turned nasty when guests spilled out on to nearby streets and allegedly pelted police with bottles, while cops armed with shields and batons held the crowd back.
And the Hole singer was forced to stay indoors while officers shut off Park Lane and the city's busiest road, Oxford Street, to deal with the situation. The gig was called off and Love addressed her disappointed fans in a post on her Twitter.com page. The message reads, "Proud (Galleries) kids. There was as you'll read tomorrow in the London papers a MASSIVE riot tonight outside my house. The cops wouldnt (sic) let me leave."
Concert organizers, Smash&Grab, also addressed the situation, releasing a statement through the company's Facebook.com page. It reads, "Thank you guys for sticking with us and making tonight amazing. Despite everyone's best efforts we couldn't help the fact that Courtney's street got blocked off by the police and they were barricaded into their hotel!!!"
A police spokesman adds, "We (had) been attending a call to a building in Park Lane after reports that in excess of 2,000 young people were holding a large party. Police have attended to get the partygoers removed for their own safety. We were called at 11pm and the situation was being brought under control within the first 90 minutes."
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival