Ailing Dennis Hopper Granted Restraining Order Against Estranged Wife
Dennis Hopper has won a restraining order against his estranged wife after his doctor insisted her presence was "hampering his cancer care". The "Easy Rider" star is currently battling prostate cancer and filed for divorce from Victoria Duffy in January, citing irreconcilable differences. But their divorce battle turned nasty this week when Hopper asked a Los Angeles judge to ban Duffy from going anywhere near him and his home as he undergoes cancer treatment.
According to court documents obtained by TMZ.com, the 73-year-old's doctor claims Hopper is of sound mind to make his own decisions and should have as little contact with Duffy as possible as the actor continues to fight the disease. Dr. David Agus states, "The presence of his estranged wife is hampering Mr. Hopper's present cancer care... It is my belief and recommendation that the less Mr. Hopper has to do with his estranged wife at this time, the more likely he is to have his life extended."
At a Los Angeles court hearing on Thursday, February 11, Hopper's lawyer added Duffy "repeatedly subjected [Hopper] to severe emotional distress". The judge ruled Duffy must stay at least 10 feet away from Hopper, his adult children Henry and Marin from previous relationships, and his assistant.
Duffy, who lives in a unit adjacent to Hopper's residence in Venice, California, has been banned from entering the main property and been ordered to move out by March 11. Hopper was also rewarded daily visitation rights to the ex-couple's six-year-old daughter, Galen, between the hours of five and seven in the evening. He has reportedly agreed not to smoke medical marijuana within one hour of his visitation.
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer: Meet the Younger Version of Dory
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Lead Music Nominees
- Is Nicki Minaj the Reason Drake Can't Fully Commit to Rihanna?
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: 'Pretty Little Liars' and 'Vampire Diaries' Dominate TV Nominations
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates 2nd Wedding Anniversary With Kanye West in Italy
- Jason Derulo Splits From Girlfriend Daphne Joy
- Twitter Users Are Begging Marvel to Give Captain America a Boyfriend
- Amy Schumer Blasts Body Shaming 'Trolls': 'I Think I Look Strong and Healthy'