Ailing Dennis Hopper Granted Restraining Order Against Estranged Wife
Dennis Hopper has won a restraining order against his estranged wife after his doctor insisted her presence was "hampering his cancer care". The "Easy Rider" star is currently battling prostate cancer and filed for divorce from Victoria Duffy in January, citing irreconcilable differences. But their divorce battle turned nasty this week when Hopper asked a Los Angeles judge to ban Duffy from going anywhere near him and his home as he undergoes cancer treatment.
According to court documents obtained by TMZ.com, the 73-year-old's doctor claims Hopper is of sound mind to make his own decisions and should have as little contact with Duffy as possible as the actor continues to fight the disease. Dr. David Agus states, "The presence of his estranged wife is hampering Mr. Hopper's present cancer care... It is my belief and recommendation that the less Mr. Hopper has to do with his estranged wife at this time, the more likely he is to have his life extended."
At a Los Angeles court hearing on Thursday, February 11, Hopper's lawyer added Duffy "repeatedly subjected [Hopper] to severe emotional distress". The judge ruled Duffy must stay at least 10 feet away from Hopper, his adult children Henry and Marin from previous relationships, and his assistant.
Duffy, who lives in a unit adjacent to Hopper's residence in Venice, California, has been banned from entering the main property and been ordered to move out by March 11. Hopper was also rewarded daily visitation rights to the ex-couple's six-year-old daughter, Galen, between the hours of five and seven in the evening. He has reportedly agreed not to smoke medical marijuana within one hour of his visitation.
- Miley Cyrus Calls Out Disney, Says She Was Underpaid on 'Hannah Montana'
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Heading to 'SNL' as First-Time Host
- 'Lion King' Gets a Remake From Disney and Jon Favreau
- Robin Hood Confirmed to Return for 'Once Upon a Time' Season 6
- New David Bowie Greatest Hits Album Announced
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos