Lionel Richie: 'We Are the World' Remake Is 'Mind Blowing'
Lionel Richie was overcome with emotion while recording the remake of "We Are the World" - because he was so happy to see a new generation of stars singing the charity track for Haiti. Richie collaborated with artists including Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Bruce Springsteen and Tina Turner to record the original 1985 single to help good causes in Africa.
And now he has teamed up with Quincy Jones to re-release the song, with a new set of artists singing lead vocals to raise funds for the earthquake relief effort in the Caribbean country. Stars including Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Pink and the Black Eyed Peas have all taken the mic in the revamped version.
Richie tells U.S. talk show host Larry King, "I'll tell you what was happening the most - to see the enthusiasm on so many of the people's faces there, because they - of course, 25 years ago, they weren't old enough or some of them weren't even here - around to be in this. So the enthusiasm of having the next generation wanting to be a part of this was just - was just mind blowing."
"(It gave them) an opportunity to understand their social awareness, and to give them a chance to be a part of history. I mean this is wonderful for them. And of course I was inspired to see again."
And the singer credits his 11-year-old daughter, Sofia, with inspiring him to re-record the track - after she became a fan of the original. He adds, "My daughter - came to me, and she said, 'Dad we just learned a brand new song in school. 'We Are The World'. I understand you wrote it with Michael Jackson,' and I fell out laughing. At that point I realized there's going to come a time when we have to pass this wonderful legacy on to the next generation... ."
More Lionel Richie News
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd
- Brody Jenner Throws Tantrum After Getting Kicked Off Hotel
- Justin Bieber and Beyonce Knowles Lead Nominations for 2016 MTV EMAs