Lionel Richie: 'We Are the World' Remake Is 'Mind Blowing'
Lionel Richie was overcome with emotion while recording the remake of "We Are the World" - because he was so happy to see a new generation of stars singing the charity track for Haiti. Richie collaborated with artists including Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Bruce Springsteen and Tina Turner to record the original 1985 single to help good causes in Africa.
And now he has teamed up with Quincy Jones to re-release the song, with a new set of artists singing lead vocals to raise funds for the earthquake relief effort in the Caribbean country. Stars including Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Pink and the Black Eyed Peas have all taken the mic in the revamped version.
Richie tells U.S. talk show host Larry King, "I'll tell you what was happening the most - to see the enthusiasm on so many of the people's faces there, because they - of course, 25 years ago, they weren't old enough or some of them weren't even here - around to be in this. So the enthusiasm of having the next generation wanting to be a part of this was just - was just mind blowing."
"(It gave them) an opportunity to understand their social awareness, and to give them a chance to be a part of history. I mean this is wonderful for them. And of course I was inspired to see again."
And the singer credits his 11-year-old daughter, Sofia, with inspiring him to re-record the track - after she became a fan of the original. He adds, "My daughter - came to me, and she said, 'Dad we just learned a brand new song in school. 'We Are The World'. I understand you wrote it with Michael Jackson,' and I fell out laughing. At that point I realized there's going to come a time when we have to pass this wonderful legacy on to the next generation... ."
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked