Designer Alexander McQueen Found Dead
Celebrated fashion designer Alexander McQueen has been found dead at his London home, after allegedly taking his own life - just a week after his mother passed away. Representatives for the 40-year-old, real name Lee McQueen, have confirmed the star's body was found at the property early on Thursday, February 11.
His death comes just days before London Fashion Week kicks off on February 19 and weeks before he was set to unveil his latest collection in Paris, France in March. A statement from McQueen's fashion house reads, "On behalf of Lee McQueen's family, Alexander McQueen today announces the tragic news that Lee McQueen, the founder and designer of the Alexander McQueen brand, has been found dead at his home."
"At this stage it is inappropriate to comment on this tragic news beyond saying that we are devastated and are sharing a sense of shock and grief with Lee's family. Lee's family has asked for privacy in order to come to terms with this terrible news and we hope the media will respect this."
Born in the East End of London, the designer started out making suits for bespoke tailors on Saville Row, before studying at the acclaimed Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, where he was discovered by late fashion journalist Isabella Blow.
He went on to be appointed head designer at Givency and wining the British designer of the year award four times between 1996 and 2003. He was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2003.
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift