Joel Madden and Nicole Richie's New Playground Opened
Good Charlotte star Joel Madden credited his partner Nicole Richie with inspiring him to be more charitable as the generous couple opened a new playground in Los Angeles. The duo pledged to raise $35,000 to build the play park in 2008 through their Richie-Madden Children's Foundation - and on Tuesday, February 9, they delighted children by officially opening the center, with the help of Madden's twin brother Benji Madden.
Richie says, "When we first started coming here, there were no kids outside. To see the place come to life and have a place to come outside and be kids, and have their imaginations run wild, it's really awesome."
And Madden insists Richie has been instrumental in encouraging their charitable efforts. He tells Tonic.com, "I've always wanted to (give back), never had the opportunity. I don't know if people ever knew that I was into it."
"I tried to get involved with Unicef, but it seemed hard to get involved. It was hard to get through to people," he adds. "But over the last three years... I feel like it's Nicole (who has made it happen). She just for some reason gets through to people."
The 30-year-old vocalist continues, "It's become just a very big part of our life. It's something that we expect of ourselves and of our family... And I think it's important that our kids grow up around something. Some families have a family business... ."
"We wanted to have a foundation that they're responsible for, that they have to be a part of - that they'll grow up with and it will just be something that they do, just like anything else that's expected of them, because that's what we do. That was the whole idea of it."
- Diplo Reuniting With Justin Bieber and MO for Major Lazer's New Song
- Charlize Theron Hosts Baby Shower for Pal Emily Blunt
- Johnny Depp's Hollywood Vampires Concert Went Ahead Despite Boycott Threat
- Selena Gomez Calls Paul Rudd a 'Pervert' in 'Fundamentals of Caring' First Trailer
- Snoop Dogg Blasts 'Roots' Remake Series, Tells Fans to Boycott the Show
- Is Justin Bieber Ready to Settle Down With Nicola Peltz?
- Kylie, Kendall Jenner and Gal Pals Strip Down to Sexy Bikinis as They Kick Off Summer
- The Rock Confirms Starring Role in Shane Black's 'Doc Savage'