'Avatar' Is Highest Grossing Film in U.K. Box Office History
James Cameron's sci-fi epic "Avatar" has broken another record - the blockbuster has become the highest grossing film in U.K. box office history. The Oscar-nominated movie pulled in $6.9 million in its eighth week of release, pushing it over the $115 million mark since it hit British cinemas in December 2009.
The massive ticket sales mean "Avatar" has now overtaken ABBA musical "Mamma Mia!" to become Britain's best-selling film ever. The news comes just a week after the movie broke U.S. box office records, putting it ahead of Cameron's 1997 hit "Titanic" as the best-selling North American release of all time.
In the U.K. chart, Disney's "The Princess and the Frog" was a new entry taking $3.5 million, followed by "Astro Boy", "Invictus" and "Sherlock Holmes".
More Avatar News
- Nathan Keyes to Play Justin Timberlake in Lifetime's Britney Spears Biopic
- Brad Pitt Voluntarily Tested for Drug and Alcohol Amid Child Abuse Allegation
- 'SNL' Finds Its New Donald Trump in Alec Baldwin After Taran Killam's Exit
- Madonna Shares Nude Pic as She Joins Katy Perry to Vote Naked
- The Weeknd Kills His Old Self in 'Starboy' Music Video
- Miley Cyrus Calls Out Disney, Says She Was Underpaid on 'Hannah Montana'
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris