Gary Coleman Avoids Jail by Paying Fine
Former child star Gary Coleman has avoided jail after striking a deal with authorities over a domestic violence charge. The "Diff'rent Strokes" star was taken into custody on January 24 after police were called to his Utah home.
No criminal charges were filed at the time, but Coleman was cited for a misdemeanor failure to appear warrant from a separate altercation in April, 2009, involving his wife, Shannon Price. He spent the first few hours of his 42nd birthday on Monday, February 8 in court, where he pleaded guilty to one count of domestic violence criminal mischief.
As part of the plea deal, Coleman was handed a suspended sentence of 31 and a half days in jail - but he will avoid the punishment if he pays a fine of $595 and attends a domestic violence course. A separate charge of domestic violence assault was dismissed, reports TMZ.com.
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest