Keira Knightley Lands a Nomination at Laurence Olivier Awards
Keira Knightley's heavily criticized stint in a London production of "The Misanthrope" has earned her a nomination for one of Britain's Laurence Olivier Awards. The actress has been hit with a slew of bad reviews for her part in an adaptation of the Moliere classic, which marked her debut on the West End stage and is currently playing at the Comedy Theater.
But the poor reviews haven't stopped Knightley from being named in the Best Supporting Actress category by jurors of the prestigious Olivier Awards, the highest honors in British theater. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" star will compete against Hayley Atwell ("A View From the Bridge"), Michelle Dockery ("Burnt by the Sun"), Alexandra Gilbreath ("Twelfth Night"), Rachael Stirling ("The Priory") and Ruth Wilson ("A Streetcar Named Desire").
Meanwhile, Hollywood actress Rachel Weisz was shortlisted for a Best Actress prize for her performance as Blanche DuBois in "A Streetcar Named Desire", and will go up against Gillian Anderson ("A Doll's House"), Imelda Staunton ("Entertaining Mr Sloane"), Lorraine Burroughs ("The Mountaintop") and Juliet Stevenson ("Duet for One").
Jude Law's turn in "Hamlet" faces competition from James Earl Jones in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", James McAvoy for "Three Days of Rain", Mark Rylance ("Jerusalem"), Ken Stott ("A View From the Bridge") and Samuel West ("Enron").
In the musical categories, former Spice Girls star Melanie C is up for a Best Actress statue for her role in "Blood Brothers", while Rowan Atkinson's stint as Fagin in "Oliver!" has scored him a Best Actor nod. The winners will be named in a ceremony at London's Grosvenor House Hotel on March 21.
- Comic-Con: 'Sherlock' Season 4 Trailer Teases the Demons Within, Star Says It's the Darkest Season
- Moving on? Iggy Azalea Spotted Cozying Up to French Montana at Las Vegas Club
- Lil Wayne Abruptly Walks Off Stage at Marijuana Festival After Just 10 Minutes
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video