Keira Knightley Lands a Nomination at Laurence Olivier Awards
Keira Knightley's heavily criticized stint in a London production of "The Misanthrope" has earned her a nomination for one of Britain's Laurence Olivier Awards. The actress has been hit with a slew of bad reviews for her part in an adaptation of the Moliere classic, which marked her debut on the West End stage and is currently playing at the Comedy Theater.
But the poor reviews haven't stopped Knightley from being named in the Best Supporting Actress category by jurors of the prestigious Olivier Awards, the highest honors in British theater. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" star will compete against Hayley Atwell ("A View From the Bridge"), Michelle Dockery ("Burnt by the Sun"), Alexandra Gilbreath ("Twelfth Night"), Rachael Stirling ("The Priory") and Ruth Wilson ("A Streetcar Named Desire").
Meanwhile, Hollywood actress Rachel Weisz was shortlisted for a Best Actress prize for her performance as Blanche DuBois in "A Streetcar Named Desire", and will go up against Gillian Anderson ("A Doll's House"), Imelda Staunton ("Entertaining Mr Sloane"), Lorraine Burroughs ("The Mountaintop") and Juliet Stevenson ("Duet for One").
Jude Law's turn in "Hamlet" faces competition from James Earl Jones in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", James McAvoy for "Three Days of Rain", Mark Rylance ("Jerusalem"), Ken Stott ("A View From the Bridge") and Samuel West ("Enron").
In the musical categories, former Spice Girls star Melanie C is up for a Best Actress statue for her role in "Blood Brothers", while Rowan Atkinson's stint as Fagin in "Oliver!" has scored him a Best Actor nod. The winners will be named in a ceremony at London's Grosvenor House Hotel on March 21.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie