Leonardo DiCaprio Does Mental Illness Research for 'Shutter Island'
Leonardo DiCaprio became a mental illness expert while researching his new thriller "Shutter Island" - by spending hours watching dark documentaries. The actor plays a detective trying to solve a missing persons mystery in an asylum in the new Martin Scorsese movie, and decided to study the mentally ill to perfect his role.
But admits he maybe took his homework a little too far, "There was a tremendous amount of research done involving the entrapment of mental illness and the suffering that people go through, so it led me to watch a lot of different documentaries on mental illness."
"For a few weeks there, it was some of the most hardcore film experiences I've ever had. It was like reliving trauma in a way. It was pretty intense." And the intensity didn't stop when filming began. DiCaprio tells WENN, "We were surrounded by it (mental illness) every day."
"We were surrounded by dilapidated walls of an old mental institution. We had somebody there who was guiding us through the history of mental illness, the pathways of treating it and the different forms of treatment."
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri