Leonardo DiCaprio Does Mental Illness Research for 'Shutter Island'
Leonardo DiCaprio became a mental illness expert while researching his new thriller "Shutter Island" - by spending hours watching dark documentaries. The actor plays a detective trying to solve a missing persons mystery in an asylum in the new Martin Scorsese movie, and decided to study the mentally ill to perfect his role.
But admits he maybe took his homework a little too far, "There was a tremendous amount of research done involving the entrapment of mental illness and the suffering that people go through, so it led me to watch a lot of different documentaries on mental illness."
"For a few weeks there, it was some of the most hardcore film experiences I've ever had. It was like reliving trauma in a way. It was pretty intense." And the intensity didn't stop when filming began. DiCaprio tells WENN, "We were surrounded by it (mental illness) every day."
"We were surrounded by dilapidated walls of an old mental institution. We had somebody there who was guiding us through the history of mental illness, the pathways of treating it and the different forms of treatment."
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby