Leonardo DiCaprio Does Mental Illness Research for 'Shutter Island'
Leonardo DiCaprio became a mental illness expert while researching his new thriller "Shutter Island" - by spending hours watching dark documentaries. The actor plays a detective trying to solve a missing persons mystery in an asylum in the new Martin Scorsese movie, and decided to study the mentally ill to perfect his role.
But admits he maybe took his homework a little too far, "There was a tremendous amount of research done involving the entrapment of mental illness and the suffering that people go through, so it led me to watch a lot of different documentaries on mental illness."
"For a few weeks there, it was some of the most hardcore film experiences I've ever had. It was like reliving trauma in a way. It was pretty intense." And the intensity didn't stop when filming began. DiCaprio tells WENN, "We were surrounded by it (mental illness) every day."
"We were surrounded by dilapidated walls of an old mental institution. We had somebody there who was guiding us through the history of mental illness, the pathways of treating it and the different forms of treatment."
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed
- Living Life to the Fullest! Brad Pitt Caught Cozying Up to Sienna Miller and Elle Macpherson
- Louis Tomlinson Was Feeling Left Out of One Direction: 'What Have I Really Done to Contribute Here?'
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Accused by NASA of Scamming Customers With Healing Stickers
- Liev Schreiber Spotted With Another Woman Amid Dating Rumors With Gerard Butler's Ex Morgan Brown
- Future and Chris Brown Are Total Womanizers in Sexy 'Pie' Video