Gabourey Sidibe Scared of Mike Tyson
Oscar nominee Gabourey Sidibe has developed a crippling fear of boxer Mike Tyson after finding herself frozen to the spot as he walked by her at a recent awards ceremony. The "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" star, who landed her first Academy Award nomination on Tuesday, February 2, attended the Golden Globes in Hollywood in January, where Tyson was also a guest.
Sidibe didn't speak a word to the retired boxer because she was scared off by his intimidating facial tattoo. She explains, "At the Golden Globes Mike Tyson was there. I didn't realize, but I'm terrified of Mike Tyson. I saw him and I was standing with my manager and said, 'Don't move, don't move'."
"There's something about him. I'm sure he's a very nice man, but there's something about a face tattoo. It says, 'I've gone as far as I want to go in society' and it makes me want to take a few steps back. I'm sure he's nice though."
Tyson's successful career was overshadowed by a 1997 heavyweight title fight against Evander Holyfield, when he notoriously chewed off a piece of his opponent's ear. The former sportsmen buried their differences in October 2009 after Tyson apologized to Holyfield during an appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show".
The boxer also softened his hard man image in 2009 when he opened up about his demons and his past in a captivating documentary.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake