James Van Der Beek Glads He Was Not Labeled Like Kids at Today Shows
James Van Der Beek is glad "Dawson's Creek" was filmed in North Carolina - because the remote location saved the show's young stars from falling victim to any sex and drugs scandals. Van Der Beek and his castmates Katie Holmes, Joshua Jackson and Michelle Williams launched their careers in the teenage drama, and each of them later found success in Hollywood films.
But Van Der Beek insists they would have struggled with fame if the series had been filmed in Los Angeles. He tells PopEater.com, "I think part of (why the cast is successful) was the fact that we were in North Carolina and we were more or less raised by a really good crew of people down there in a really great community. I think, had we been in L.A., we probably would have fallen under some different influences at a very crucial time in our lives."
"The fact that we were so far away means that we made the mistakes that all kinds of kids make, especially when you're on a TV show, but we were doing it without having it all over the cover of Us (Weekly) magazine. So we could afford to not be perfect and learn from our mistakes and not have to pay for them for the rest of our lives."
And he sympathizes with the new generation of young actors who are thrust into the spotlight, "I feel so bad for these kids now who are on these shows, and they make one misstep and they're labeled and branded and they're just followed and stalked. And it's just really unhealthy."
"I don't know how anyone can come out of that unscathed... I think we were just very fortunate. We were around some good people and kudos to ('Dawson's Creek' creator) Kevin Williamson for casting some really talented people who were able to make a career out of this. Not just casting some hot model type in every role."
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture