James Cameron Believes His 'Avatar' Will Lose at 2010 Academy Awards
James Cameron is convinced his sci-fi epic "Avatar" will lose out at the upcoming Academy Awards, but hopes his ex-wife Kathryn Bigelow takes home the Best Picture Oscar instead. Cameron's blockbuster will go up against Bigelow's gritty war drama "The Hurt Locker" for the coveted prize at the upcoming ceremony in March, along with eight other films including "Up in the Air", "The Blind Side" and "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire".
The moviemaker will also compete with his former spouse for the Best Director Oscar, but he's convinced Academy bosses will overlook "Avatar" because of his previous behavior at the famous event. Cameron is adamant Oscar bosses weren't impressed with his speech when he picked up the Best Director trophy for "Titanic" in 1998, in which he quoted one of the film's famous lines, telling the crowd, "I'm king of the world!"
He tells Empire magazine, "I always believe it's very unlikely that lightening will strike twice. I believe it's very unlikely that we will win because I made such a jacka** out of myself last time. Although there might be some curiosity about what I might do." But Cameron hopes Bigelow's movie goes on to rule the ceremony instead.
He adds, " 'The Hurt Locker' is a very, very strong picture. Of the contenders, it's definitely the strongest. Certainly it's Kathryn's moment. I would happily lose to her. I've already got one of those damn statues. I'd be p**sed off if somebody else won, but I wouldn't mind if she won."
- Drake Announces Short Movie 'Please Forgive Me' - Get a Sneak Peek Here!
- Katy Perry Feels Sympathy for 'Catfish' Victim Who Thought He Was Dating Her
- Video Premiere: Chris Brown's 'Grass Ain't Greener'
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'