Rihanna and Kelly Rowland Lose Their Leukemia-Stricken Pal
The cancer-stricken girl who inspired Rihanna and Kelly Rowland to issue emotional appeals for bone marrow donors has lost her battle with leukemia. Six-year-old Jasmina Anema captured the hearts of the public as she bravely fought a rare and deadly form of the disease.
Anema was diagnosed with the illness in January, 2009 and befriended the singers as they called on fans to register as bone marrow donors to help find a potential match. A suitable donor was found and the youngster received a bone marrow transplant in 2009.
But she was admitted to New York University's Langone Medical Center on Monday night, January 25, suffering from fevers and shortness of breath. She was subsequently diagnosed with pneumonia in both lungs and passed away on Wednesday night, January 27, reports People.com.
Her mother Thea Anema confirmed the tragic news in a posting on the Caring Bridge blog she had set up to keep the public informed of Jasmina's progress, writing: "Jasmina lost her fight against leukemia."
More Rihanna News
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 6 Finale Recap: Does It Confirm Fan Theory About Jon's True Parentage?
- BET Awards 2016: Bryson Tiller and Drake Win More
- Jennifer Hudson Dresses as Prince in White Hooded Dress at 2016 BET Awards
- BET Awards 2016: Erykah Badu, Tori Kelly and Jennifer Hudson Team Up for Prince Tribute
- Demi Lovato Opens Up About Addictions and Eating Disorder, Says She 'Was Going to Die Young'
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage