Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem Bound to Help Haiti Until 2015
Hollywood couple Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are digging deep to help the victims of earthquake-ravaged Haiti - they've each promised to donate $50,000-a-year until 2015 to rebuild the country's schools.
The Spanish stars joined British writer/director Paul Haggis at his Los Angeles home on Sunday, January 24 when he hosted a celebrity brunch for his charitable organization Artists for Peace and Justice to raise funds for Haiti. Cruz and Bardem were among 100 guests including Nicole Kidman, Charlize Theron, Maria Bello and Gerard Butler at the event, where they were treated to a performance by Sheryl Crow, reports People magazine.
The brunch raised $4.5 million for the Caribbean nation's relief effort - including Cruz and Bardem's personal promises to support the country as it works to rebuild its school system. Haggis, who has been doing charity work in Haiti for years, founded Artists for Peace and Justice with a group of friends last year to improve schools and hospitals and help provide locals with access to clean drinking water.
The actress' five-year pledge comes less than two weeks after the "Nine" beauty paid tribute to Haggis at the Golden Globe Awards, when she praised him for snubbing the red carpet to fly to Haiti and help relief workers. She told E! News, "We are very lucky to be here, celebrating cinema... but it's impossible to think about anything else than the terrible disaster that is going on in Haiti."
"Our dear friend Paul Haggis... is on his way there now... I encourage people to look at the website, Artists for Peace & Justice, and to do whatever they can because everything counts, everything will make a difference to somebody else's life."
- First Look at Lumiere, Cogsworth, Gaston and Le Fou in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Julianne Hough and Derek Hough to Return for 'DWTS' Season 23
- Sam Mendes in Talks to Direct Disney's 'James and the Giant Peach'
- 'Veep' Star Anna Chlumsky Gives Birth to Her Second Child
- Producer Defends Frank Ocean for Self-Releasing 'Blonde' Album, Slams Def Jam
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Give Paparazzi Free Yeezy Sneakers
- Drake Announces Short Movie 'Please Forgive Me' - Get a Sneak Peek Here!
- Katy Perry Feels Sympathy for 'Catfish' Victim Who Thought He Was Dating Her