Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem Bound to Help Haiti Until 2015
Hollywood couple Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are digging deep to help the victims of earthquake-ravaged Haiti - they've each promised to donate $50,000-a-year until 2015 to rebuild the country's schools.
The Spanish stars joined British writer/director Paul Haggis at his Los Angeles home on Sunday, January 24 when he hosted a celebrity brunch for his charitable organization Artists for Peace and Justice to raise funds for Haiti. Cruz and Bardem were among 100 guests including Nicole Kidman, Charlize Theron, Maria Bello and Gerard Butler at the event, where they were treated to a performance by Sheryl Crow, reports People magazine.
The brunch raised $4.5 million for the Caribbean nation's relief effort - including Cruz and Bardem's personal promises to support the country as it works to rebuild its school system. Haggis, who has been doing charity work in Haiti for years, founded Artists for Peace and Justice with a group of friends last year to improve schools and hospitals and help provide locals with access to clean drinking water.
The actress' five-year pledge comes less than two weeks after the "Nine" beauty paid tribute to Haggis at the Golden Globe Awards, when she praised him for snubbing the red carpet to fly to Haiti and help relief workers. She told E! News, "We are very lucky to be here, celebrating cinema... but it's impossible to think about anything else than the terrible disaster that is going on in Haiti."
"Our dear friend Paul Haggis... is on his way there now... I encourage people to look at the website, Artists for Peace & Justice, and to do whatever they can because everything counts, everything will make a difference to somebody else's life."
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Recap: Which Pairs Win Immunity in Face-Off Week?
- Rob Kardashian Tweets Kylie's Number as He Blasts His Family for Snubbing Blac Chyna
- Report: Drake Is Actually Gay and His Rihanna Romance Is Fake
- Tom Holland Spotted Filming 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' in NYC Subway
- Audrina Patridge Shares Sweet Photo of Her Breastfeeding Her Daughter
- 'Will and Grace' Stars Reunite for Hillary Clinton Endorsement Video
- Ariana Grande Reveals Her Desire to Go Country
- Hilary Duff Confirms She's Dating Trainer Jason Walsh: 'He's a Great Guy'