Susan Boyle's Idol Not Proud of Her Fan's Success
Susan Boyle's idol Elaine Paige has branded the Scottish singer "a virus", attributing the star's success to the clip-sharing website YouTube.com. The "I Dreamed a Dream" hitmaker became an overnight success last year after a clip of her singing "I Dreamed a Dream" at an audition on "Britain's Got Talent" was uploaded to the site. Boyle gained millions of fans around the world after she was thrust into the spotlight, and even fulfilled a lifelong ambition by singing a duet with her hero Paige last year on U.K. TV.
But Paige isn't convinced Boyle has what it takes to have a lasting career in the music industry. She says, "I don't particularly feel any pride for her - I'm sure she is proud of what she has done. It's all about turning someone into an immediate celebrity at the expense of longevity and working hard and experience. Susan Boyle is doing terribly well considering she literally came to the attention of the world with the advent of YouTube. She was like a virus really that spread across the world in a nanosecond. She is a girl with no experience of anything to do with theatrics, the music business, or art in any way."
"Longevity is gained through knowledge, experience and effort so it will remain to be seen (if she will last). When I started (my career) YouTube didn't exist but even then with 15 years of experience prior to my success (starring in the musical) Evita it was difficult, so I admire the way she has handled her sudden success. 'Britain's Got Talent' and 'The X Factor' just take a bunch of people from real life who think they can sing and try and turn them into overnight 'stars' with a couple of songs. It's not entertainment."
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences