John Travolta to Return to Court in September for Extortion Case
John Travolta will be forced to relive the painful memories of his son's death for a second time in September 2010, when the actor's extortion case returns to court for a retrial. Former Bahamas senator Pleasant Bridgewater and paramedic Tarino Lightbourne have been charged with conspiracy to extort $25 million from the actor and his wife Kelly Preston after their 16-year-old son Jett suffered a fatal seizure at the family's holiday home there in January 2009.
The allegations center around a Refusal of Treatment/Transportation form, signed by Travolta, which the suspects allegedly threatened to release to the media. In October 2009, Senior Justice Anita Allen declared a mistrial after a jury member reportedly leaked the verdict to politicians. Jurors were still deliberating when lawmaker Picewell Forbes allegedly announced to an audience at a Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) convention that Bridgewater was "a free woman".
The retrial has been set for September 6 and is expected to last four weeks. The star's attorney, Michael Ossi, has insisted Travolta, who testified during the initial hearings, will fully cooperate with future proceedings and will testify again if necessary. Ossi told reporters in October 2009, "We are committed to seeing this through, and we are committed to seeing justice served. And whatever the prosecution asks us to do is exactly what we will do."
- Justin Bieber Wins 8 Titles in Guinness World Records 2017 Edition
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Poses Completely Naked for Paper Magazine
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters