John Travolta to Return to Court in September for Extortion Case
John Travolta will be forced to relive the painful memories of his son's death for a second time in September 2010, when the actor's extortion case returns to court for a retrial. Former Bahamas senator Pleasant Bridgewater and paramedic Tarino Lightbourne have been charged with conspiracy to extort $25 million from the actor and his wife Kelly Preston after their 16-year-old son Jett suffered a fatal seizure at the family's holiday home there in January 2009.
The allegations center around a Refusal of Treatment/Transportation form, signed by Travolta, which the suspects allegedly threatened to release to the media. In October 2009, Senior Justice Anita Allen declared a mistrial after a jury member reportedly leaked the verdict to politicians. Jurors were still deliberating when lawmaker Picewell Forbes allegedly announced to an audience at a Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) convention that Bridgewater was "a free woman".
The retrial has been set for September 6 and is expected to last four weeks. The star's attorney, Michael Ossi, has insisted Travolta, who testified during the initial hearings, will fully cooperate with future proceedings and will testify again if necessary. Ossi told reporters in October 2009, "We are committed to seeing this through, and we are committed to seeing justice served. And whatever the prosecution asks us to do is exactly what we will do."
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed