John Travolta to Return to Court in September for Extortion Case
John Travolta will be forced to relive the painful memories of his son's death for a second time in September 2010, when the actor's extortion case returns to court for a retrial. Former Bahamas senator Pleasant Bridgewater and paramedic Tarino Lightbourne have been charged with conspiracy to extort $25 million from the actor and his wife Kelly Preston after their 16-year-old son Jett suffered a fatal seizure at the family's holiday home there in January 2009.
The allegations center around a Refusal of Treatment/Transportation form, signed by Travolta, which the suspects allegedly threatened to release to the media. In October 2009, Senior Justice Anita Allen declared a mistrial after a jury member reportedly leaked the verdict to politicians. Jurors were still deliberating when lawmaker Picewell Forbes allegedly announced to an audience at a Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) convention that Bridgewater was "a free woman".
The retrial has been set for September 6 and is expected to last four weeks. The star's attorney, Michael Ossi, has insisted Travolta, who testified during the initial hearings, will fully cooperate with future proceedings and will testify again if necessary. Ossi told reporters in October 2009, "We are committed to seeing this through, and we are committed to seeing justice served. And whatever the prosecution asks us to do is exactly what we will do."
More John Travolta News
- Dennis Quaid's Wife Kimberly Files for Divorce for Second Time
- Chris Brown Rants on Instagram After Falling Out with Manager and Publicist
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift
- Fans Petition 'Star Wars' to Include First Gay Character to Honor Orlando Victims
- Get to Know More About 'The Walking Dead' Villain Negan! His Backstory Is Revealed in Comics
- Rihanna Shares 'Saucy' Video of Her Crotch
- Paris Hilton Likes a Shady Meme to Remind Kanye West She Made Kim Kardashian Famous
- Dwayne Johnson Shares New Picture From 'Fast and Furious 8' Set