Accused of Staging Publicity Stunt, Pete Doherty Fined for Carrying Heroin
Troubled rocker Pete Doherty has been ordered to pay a fine after he was caught carrying heroin into a U.K. court in December 2009. The Babyshambles frontman landed himself in trouble after he was frisked by guards on his way into Gloucester Crown Court for sentencing over a series of driving offenses.
Security staff saw a small packet fall out of his coat and the star was arrested in the corridor on his way out. His lawyer argued at Gloucester Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, January 27 that Doherty had forgotten the 13 wraps of heroin were in the jacket - but the judge branded it a "stupid" move.
District Judge Joti Boparai told the star, "Either this was sheer stupidity or a ploy to get more publicity." He was ordered to pay $1,200 but escaped a rehabilitation order as the judge ruled public funds shouldn't be spent on him as Doherty is already paying for private drug treatment.
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says