Accused of Staging Publicity Stunt, Pete Doherty Fined for Carrying Heroin
Troubled rocker Pete Doherty has been ordered to pay a fine after he was caught carrying heroin into a U.K. court in December 2009. The Babyshambles frontman landed himself in trouble after he was frisked by guards on his way into Gloucester Crown Court for sentencing over a series of driving offenses.
Security staff saw a small packet fall out of his coat and the star was arrested in the corridor on his way out. His lawyer argued at Gloucester Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, January 27 that Doherty had forgotten the 13 wraps of heroin were in the jacket - but the judge branded it a "stupid" move.
District Judge Joti Boparai told the star, "Either this was sheer stupidity or a ploy to get more publicity." He was ordered to pay $1,200 but escaped a rehabilitation order as the judge ruled public funds shouldn't be spent on him as Doherty is already paying for private drug treatment.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences