Accused of Staging Publicity Stunt, Pete Doherty Fined for Carrying Heroin
Troubled rocker Pete Doherty has been ordered to pay a fine after he was caught carrying heroin into a U.K. court in December 2009. The Babyshambles frontman landed himself in trouble after he was frisked by guards on his way into Gloucester Crown Court for sentencing over a series of driving offenses.
Security staff saw a small packet fall out of his coat and the star was arrested in the corridor on his way out. His lawyer argued at Gloucester Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, January 27 that Doherty had forgotten the 13 wraps of heroin were in the jacket - but the judge branded it a "stupid" move.
District Judge Joti Boparai told the star, "Either this was sheer stupidity or a ploy to get more publicity." He was ordered to pay $1,200 but escaped a rehabilitation order as the judge ruled public funds shouldn't be spent on him as Doherty is already paying for private drug treatment.
- Kristin Cavallari Will Not Watch 'The Hills' Re-Runs Because It's 'Brutal'
- Kirsten Storms Breaks Silence on Her Temporary 'General Hospital' Leave
- Jesse Eisenberg Confirms He Will Return for 'Justice League'
- Sam Mendes Confirms He Won't Direct the Next James Bond Movie
- Keira Knightley's Acting in 'Begin Again' Gets Criticized by Director
- Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Take Her Birthday Son to Indianapolis 500
- Ariana Grande Cancels Rock in Rio Performance Due to Throat and Sinus Infection
- Johnny Depp's Ex Vanessa Paradis and Daughter Lily-Rose Defend Him Amid Amber Heard Drama