Halle Berry's Thief Character Is Arrested
The aged jewel thief Halle Berry will play in young producer Justin Berfield's new movie has been arrested for stealing a coat from a department store in Costa Mesa, California. Doris Payne, 79, attempted to leave a Saks Fifth Avenue store on Friday, January 22 without paying for a $1,300 Burberry trenchcoat.
Payne, who was on parole for past thefts when she was caught, is currently in custody without bail. Berry will portray the career thief, who has robbed gem stores around the world, in new biopic "Who Is Doris Payne?". The Oscar winner has been working on the project for over two years with former "Malcolm in the Middle" star Berfield, who secured the rights to Payne's life story after meeting her in jail in 2006.
Payne, who is known as The Grandmother Thief, has spent much of her adult life pulling off some of the biggest gem heists around the globe.
Berfield previously told WENN, "Doris was a jewel thief for six decades and worked all over the world. Doris is a magnificent woman and she's incredibly intelligent."
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding