Halle Berry's Thief Character Is Arrested
The aged jewel thief Halle Berry will play in young producer Justin Berfield's new movie has been arrested for stealing a coat from a department store in Costa Mesa, California. Doris Payne, 79, attempted to leave a Saks Fifth Avenue store on Friday, January 22 without paying for a $1,300 Burberry trenchcoat.
Payne, who was on parole for past thefts when she was caught, is currently in custody without bail. Berry will portray the career thief, who has robbed gem stores around the world, in new biopic "Who Is Doris Payne?". The Oscar winner has been working on the project for over two years with former "Malcolm in the Middle" star Berfield, who secured the rights to Payne's life story after meeting her in jail in 2006.
Payne, who is known as The Grandmother Thief, has spent much of her adult life pulling off some of the biggest gem heists around the globe.
Berfield previously told WENN, "Doris was a jewel thief for six decades and worked all over the world. Doris is a magnificent woman and she's incredibly intelligent."
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers