Denise Richards Tells All About Charlie Sheen on 'Oprah Winfrey Show'
Charlie Sheen's ex-wife Denise Richards has opened up about her former husband's abusive nature, reluctantly telling talk show host Oprah Winfrey that the bad boy was occasionally a bad man during their marriage. The former Bond girl agreed to appear on Winfrey's show on Tuesday, January 26, to discuss Sheen's Christmas Day, December 25, 2009 arrest in Colorado - after police were called to his family retreat to investigate a fight between the actor and his current wife, Brooke Mueller.
Richards told the talk show host that Sheen had called her from jail to wish her and the couple's daughters a Merry Christmas, and briefly explained what had happened. She recalled, "He said, 'I didn't want the day to go by without saying Merry Christmas to the girls,' which I thought was really nice... I said, 'Come and say Merry Christmas to dad,' and they were like, 'We'll call him later...' I said, 'Actually, dad doesn't have much time; he's going out to eat.'"
But the TV chat quickly turned tense when Winfrey asked her guest if Sheen had been abusive during their four-year marriage, which ended in a messy divorce. The actress, who alleged her ex had threatened her in divorce papers, took a deep breath and told the host, "I can't lie... I can't sit here and say, 'No, he didn't (threaten me)' and then I had documents that stated that (he was)."
She added, "There were times during the marriage where there was a lot of verbal abuse. He never hit me... A lot of verbal arguments got extremely heated; that scared me. I did have a restraining order (against him) and it was because of that."
Asked if she was afraid of repercussions from Sheen after her appearance on the Oprah show, she said, "I told him I was here... I told him I was going to be honest about some things. I'm sure he wants me to not be too honest about stuff. I think there's a history (of abusive behavior)... I think that Charlie has a very sharp tongue... He knew my insecurities and played on that."
Richards revealed she "loved" her ex, but insisted she no longer had strong feelings for the actor, adding, "The person that I know isn't the person that I married. I will always care for him because he's my daughters' father."
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation