Excluded From Reunion, Bernard Butler Wishes Suede the Best of Luck
Bernard Butler has wished his former Suede bandmates good luck as they launch a comeback - after they neglected to ask him to join their reunion. The "Animal Nitrate" hitmakers announced in early January they'll soon be reforming for a charity gig in the U.K. - but Butler's name was excluded from the announcement line-up in favor of guitarist Richard Oakes.
Founder member Butler, who was replaced by Oakes when he quit Suede in 1994, insists he was never approached to play at the charity concert after previously branding Britpop reunions "embarrassing". He said in 2009, "There's an awful lot of Britpop reunions going on at the moment and I find it embarrassing personally."
"I think it's got no relevance to what's going on at the moment. I'm obsessively opposed to nostalgia. I hate the idea of it. It doesn't work. And it doesn't interest me at all." But now he's wishing the newly reformed group the best of luck, insisting he'll be in the front row at their show.
Butler explains, "It's a shame for them that my name gets dragged into it to try and stir something up... The honest answer is that I haven't been asked to do it. I saw (singer) Brett (Anderson) the other night socially and it's not really something we're going to go on about. So, it's all in people's fantasies and imaginations really."
"I think they were really happy without me for quite a while and I think they'd be really unhappy with me now. They were a really successful band and I was with them for 5 minutes, relatively, to the history of the band. And they get along fine. I think they'll manage this on their own."
"I think it's a good idea. It's a great charity and I'll be on the front row chucking peanuts at them," he added. Suede, who disbanded in 2003, are scheduled to play at London's Royal Albert Hall in March.
- Daniel Radcliffe Is 'Leaving Room' to Play 'Harry Potter' Again in the Future
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood