Being Able to Deal With 'Heartbreak', Jennifer Garner Praises Therapy Sessions
Jennifer Garner credits the therapy sessions she signed up for following the break-up of her marriage to actor Scott Foley for the success of her relationship with Ben Affleck. The actress admits her split and subsequent divorce from Foley in 2003 was "a huge heartbreak" which sent her into therapy.
And Garner reveals the sessions helped her come to terms with the fact she wasn't ready to become a wife when she wed Foley in 2000. She tells Parade magazine, "I had a lot of growing up to do. I'm still conflict-averse. I don't like to argue. But, back then, I couldn't have a fight. I couldn't work things out because I wasn't able to say what I needed to say. I didn't have a voice. I didn't dare to express myself."
"It was a huge heartbreak for me to have something fail like that. I knew that this was either an opportunity for growth or I would sink. It's easy when you're hurt and angry to just say, 'Oh, it's them,' but I had to come into my own. I thought, 'Why did this relationship not work? What part of the failure is my responsibility?' So I went to work on it. I started therapy."
Garner called on inspiration from her TV spy character in "Alias" to help her become a better partner. She adds, "It's not like I didn't realize I had any issues until I got a divorce, but I had this professional confidence that wasn't equaled by my own personal confidence in any relationship - not just with men. There was a disconnect. I realized I needed to be more like my character in 'Alias', who was so powerful and confident and an inspiration to me."
"I understood very well how to be nice and how to take care of people. I didn't know how to ask for anything that I needed. It was important to balance it out." Her second marriage to Affleck has become a success story - the couple has become one of Hollywood's most solid pairs. They wed in 2005 and have two kids.
More Jennifer Garner News
- Taylor Swift's Squad Reportedly Abandons Her After Her 'Embarrassing Feuds and Breakups'
- Watch Britney Spears' Performance at Apple Music Festival in London
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Eliminates Second Pair of Season 23
- Miley Cyrus Disses Mariah Carey, Says 'I've Never Really Been a Fan'
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Reveals How 'Mary Poppins Returns' Connects to Original Movie
- FKA twigs Ditches Her Engagement Ring When Arriving at LAX With Robert Pattinson
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Aren't Speaking, but Not Breaking Up
- NBC's 'This Is Us' Is the First Freshman to Get Full Season Order